You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Book - Photo Metadata #1
Paul Jones's picture
by Paul Jones
June 18, 2012 - 5:54am

So I know the answer will probably be what I think it is, but no harm in asking just in case.

I'm making a book and for the first time I want to add info (name, aperture, shutter speed) below each photo. I've only ever added images and some non-metadata text before. From my understanding I will need to have 3 metadata text boxes for each photo correct? One for each piece of metadata?

On a related note, I see there is not 'title' metadata option when making a book. Now, I have 300-ish photos with the name of the photo (the filename is the name out of camera which is how I do things) in the 'title' metadata field name. The only solution I can see is to move the name into another field for this purpose, say 'caption' or 'comments' (actually 'comments' does not seem to be available as metadata field in Aperture, so thats kinda odd). Anyway, is there anyway to batch move the data from the 'title' field into the 'caption' field or am I looking at doing it manually?

Thanks.

Paul

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 18, 2012 - 6:02am

Paul,

I’m afraid you know your answers :)

Take a look in the AppleScript forum. I’m pretty sure there was a thread in there about using scripting to automate copying metadata from one field into another. That may help speed things up.

Also I’m not sure where the “comments” field is that you’re looking at comes from? AFAIK it’s not a standard IPTC field. Maybe it’s something you custom made? I could be wrong…

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Paul Jones's picture
by Paul Jones
June 18, 2012 - 6:23am

Thanks Joseph. I just had to ask as I would have kicked myself if I was to find out later there was a better way!

I had a look in the applescript forum but couldn’t find anything. I’ll have another look later on.

As for the ‘comments’ field, I agree. Its not a standard IPTC field. You don’t have it in your “Set Metadata Format” dropdown? Its not a custom field I created either. That would actually be a good thing as it would mean more flexibility. Anyway, I don’t see why Apple limit the options here, surely allowing access to all metadata fields would be the sensible option. Then again, its Apple.. :-)

Paul

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 18, 2012 - 11:44am

Paul,

Aha, I missed that before. (If anyone else is wondering, this is what he’s talking about: [screenshot]).

Well, I’m stumped. I can’t find any reference to this in the manual. Google searching for “aperture book comments metadata” finds this post ;-) And the one thing I thought it might actually be — comments from an image shared to Facebook — turn out not to be the one either.

I’ll try to find out!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness