You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bug with Unnamed Locations? #1
Ann Nunziata's picture
by Ann Nunziata
December 18, 2011 - 1:07pm

The results of the import from my camera with GPS have been very disappointing. Places almost always tags the pin as an Unnamed Location even though I have full GPS data and also entered the Image City, Location, and State information in the Metadata. And here's a weird thing: If I create Duplicate Version of a photo with an Unnamed Location, THEN both of the photos suddenly know where they are. If I delete that 2nd (or 3rd or 4th ) version, the photo loses its way. What the heck is going on? It's almost as if it doesn't read the GPS data until it creates a duplicate.
You can see a screenshot of a lost photo with full GPS data on my website,
http://www.flyingpigfarm.com/fpdesign/art.html

FlyingPigDesign.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 23, 2011 - 7:37am

Ann,

Curious indeed. The only GPS enabled camera I have is the iPhone, and from what I can see it’s resolving place names just fine. Do you happen to have an iPhone, and if so, can you compare to see if you’re getting location data from them? That’ll tell us if it’s something with your Library, or something with the camera model.

Speaking of… what exact camera model is it you’re using?

Also, entering the city/state/etc. info on import has nothing to do with the Places data. Entering it is still good practice though because when you export images with Places data, it won’t resolve out to those EXIF metadata fields (long-standing feature request!).

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness