You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can I use iPhoto for viewing and Aperture for importing and editing? #1
Argelius's picture
by Argelius
October 29, 2010 - 7:40pm

Here's my situation.

I'd used iPhoto for years, but recently switched to using Aperture. When setting up Aperture, I “imported” the iPhoto library by electing to leave the photos in their current location (i.e. in the iPhoto library). Any photos I subsequently imported into Aperture were placed in the Aperture library.

With iLife '11 out, I'd now like to use iPhoto as my photo browsing program, since I like all the new features that Aperture is now lacking from a photo-viewing, book creation, etc standpoint. However, I prefer to use Aperture as my photo editing program.

In other words, I'd like to use Aperture to import photos from my camera and do any editing (which I tend to do on nearly every photo); when I want to view or share photos, I'd like to use iPhoto '11. (Since I do some editing on most of my photos, merely using Aperture as an “external editor” from iPhoto is cumbersome).

Is this possible to do? I've tried researching this, but most articles are about moving from iPhoto to Aperture, not back and forth…

Thanks!

Argelius's picture
by Argelius
November 5, 2010 - 11:12pm

Thanks, Joseph, for your response. I admit to still being an Aperture newbie, so my question may be influenced by my greater familiarity/comfort with iPhoto than Aperture. I guess its a matter of aesthetics – I like the look and feel of the the new iLife ‘11. The more I get comfortable with Aperture, I’m sure I won’t care so much.

The other issue I’m having with Aperture, is how incredibly slow it is to load pictures for viewing. When viewing pictures full screen there’s a 5-10 second delay between hitting the right arrow and the next picture loading. (And deleting a photo takes at least 10 seconds). I never experienced these sorts of issues with iPhoto. (I know this issue is beyond the scope of my original question which was effectively addressed)…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 6, 2010 - 3:58am

Glenn,

Slow Aperture is never fun. Tell me about your setup; what hardware, RAM, etc., where are your Library and Masters located, what kind of files are you processing, and what versions of the OS and Aperture are you running.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 29, 2010 - 11:14pm

Glenn,

Yes and no. You can access the contents of your Aperture Library for the purpose of making books, cards, etc., but you can’t browse it using iPhotos browsing tools. You have to have iLife sharing enabled in Aperture Preferences > Previews > Share previews with iLife and iWork, and then in iPhoto you’ll see the menu File > Show Aperture Library.

I’m curious though as to what you feel is lacking in Aperture. You have most if not all of the same views, and you have a much more robust book tool. In iPhoto you can build greeting cards and calendars that you don’t get in Aperture, but you can access the photos in your Aperture library as noted above.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?