You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cannot Cancel Thumbnail Generation #1
MikeM's picture
by MikeM
December 16, 2015 - 3:37pm

Hi Folks.

I am using Aperture 3.6 on an iMac 27” (Late 2013) with an Intel Core i7 and 16 gigs of RAM and El Capitan

I am having a problem with Aperture stalling on generating a thumbnail.

The Activity window show Aperture generating a thumbnail on a particular image with 1,771 left to do, but it stops there.

Aperture Screen Shot.jpg

When I try to cancel the process in the Activity window, the process shows cancelling but does not cancel. 

I also cannot quit Aperture once this process starts or if I try to cancel the process. If I try to quit and walk away for an hour or 4, Aperture is still running with the Quit command greyed out.

Any thoughts as to how I can stop this thumbnail generation process?

Thanks - Mike.

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
February 17, 2016 - 6:17pm

Hi Mike

I too suffered from constant thumbnail generation.  I’m sorry to say that I never did find a resolution but that it has now stopped.  On the basis that my version of Aperture (3.6) hasn’t changed it must be OS X or external app related that have updated and therefore provided a fix for the issue.  I am on OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite and have accepted all the App store OS X updates offered.

Sorry it’s not a fix for you but may offer a ray of hope.

Regards

Robin

MikeM's picture
by MikeM
February 18, 2016 - 3:51pm

Hi Robin,

I wound up going back to a previous version of my library backed up prior to this problem starting. Did not have too much to re-create.

Went to the Project containing the offending image and deleted all the photos. Then re-imported them. That seemed to fix it.

At first, I tried updating the processing. The images were originally imported & processed under an older version of Aperture. That did not help.

There might be other images in my library that have this issue. I’ll have to deal with them as they pop up.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

All the best,

Mike

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
February 18, 2016 - 4:00pm

No worries, glad you got it sorted

Robin

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?