You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Canon 5D Mark III File Support #1
Marty Krogh's picture
by Marty Krogh
April 1, 2012 - 5:30am

Received my new 5D Mark III yesterday only to discover Apple has not updated Aperture to support raw images from it. Adobe has already updated Lightroom, so it is difficult to understand why Apple failed to do the same. Maybe it's time to give Lightroom a closer look.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 1, 2012 - 6:12am

Marty,

On average I think most people will agree that Adobe supports new cameras before Apple. But not always. For example, Apple supported the Canon T3i about a month before you could get one in the stores. Adobe didn’t support that same camera until weeks after it was available.

Technically only LR 4.1 Release Candidate supports the 5D Mk III. The released version of Lightroom is still version 4.0 which does not support it. It’s still possible, though not probable, that Apple could release a Camera RAW update that supports the 5D Mk III before Adobe releases LR 4.1. After all, they did release a Nikon D800 update only a couple of weeks after releasing a bigger RAW update.

If updates for RAW support is the most important aspect of a Digital Asset Manager, then switching to LR will sometimes get you ahead, but not always. How often do you buy a new camera that just came out anyway.

I’m sure Apple will support the 5D Mk III soon. I think Aperture’s advantages are worth waiting a few weeks for RAW support of a new camera.

Thomas

Pierre Lessard's picture
by Pierre Lessard
April 1, 2012 - 7:53am

I have the same problem. Cannot open raw from my Mark III with Apple Preview or Aperture. Even after installing their update on Raw files

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 1, 2012 - 8:07am

Pierre,

Aperture, iPhoto and Preview all rely on the Mac OS level RAW decoders that haven’t been updated to support the Mk III yet.

Thomas

Thomas Boyd's picture
by Thomas Boyd
April 1, 2012 - 8:48am

In the meantime you can download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your images RAW images to DNG and then work on them in Aperture.

Here’s a link: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5309

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 2, 2012 - 2:21am

All,

You can also shoot RAW+JPG in the meantime, so you can view your JPG files but know that when support comes, you’ll be able to go back to those first few amazing photos you shot on your brand new camera.

There’s a reason they call the “cutting edge” the “bleeding edge”… those on the edge get cut a little bit :) Don’t worry, support will come.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marty Krogh's picture
by Marty Krogh
April 2, 2012 - 10:05pm

All,

Thanks to all for your input. I did discover I could use the Raw + JPEG setting to import my images into Aperture, after I posted my comment. I will be patient & wait for Apple to provide an update.

günther pichler's picture
by günther pichler
April 3, 2012 - 9:11pm

i tried to use the adobe DNG converter on my 5D III raws, but the result was awful. high iso images looked terrible on aperture.
opening the raw files with canon’s DPP (comes with the cam) produces neat images - as neat as the jpg’s are. it’s a clumsy workaround (raw -> tiff16bit -> aperture) but gives good results.
in the meantime let’s hope for a quick update!

Dave M.'s picture
by Dave M.
April 6, 2012 - 6:18am

The update is out. Can use software update to get the new release.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness