You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can't create Vault #1
Ron Croft's picture
by Ron Croft
July 30, 2012 - 12:54am

I've imported 18K images into an Aperture managed library from my Photo Mechanic structure. All seems to have gone well but when I try to create a Vault for backup to a separate drive I get the following message:

“New Vault Could Not Be Created

Please ensure that the destination path has the appropriate permissions and that the vault has a unique name.”

I'm clueless about how to proceed. I've done a Repair Permissions on the drive I want to use for backup but it didn't make any difference. Can someone shed any light on this?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 30, 2012 - 1:11am

Check to make sure the HD is formatted with Journal. Control click on the HD and check that you have read write permissions for that HD.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Ron Croft's picture
by Ron Croft
July 31, 2012 - 1:46am

Eureka! The HD was formatted with Journal but set for only read permission. I set it for write permission and have now backed up the Library in the Vault. One other Q though: how do I confirm everything is there? The Aperture Library weighs 195GB but the Vault indicates 223GB. that seems strange since I thought the Vault compressed all images.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 31, 2012 - 7:09am

Ron,

Another solution for the drive permissions is to simply enable “Ignore ownership on this volume” [screenshot].

As far as the bigger Vault goes, I don’t have a good answer but someone else posted this question recently on the Apple forums, here. There is some discussion that the Vault may be making full size previews for files even if you don’t have them that size in the Library itself. Curious.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Ron Croft's picture
by Ron Croft
August 1, 2012 - 1:57am

Thanks, Joseph. I see I’m not the only one mystified.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness