You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can't work out how to create a Calendar in Aperture #1
Kathleen Yorston's picture
by Kathleen Yorston
November 25, 2012 - 8:37am

I'm using Aperture 3.2.4 and I have worked out how to create photo books. I thought that creating a calendar would be just as easy, but despite trawling the web for assistance, I've not been able to find any advice on that one first step. I'm sure that's all I need. Would appreciate any advice on how to get started.

Regards
Kyorston

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
November 25, 2012 - 10:09am

Kathleen: I think you have to make calendars in iPhoto. So if you are using aperture’s images for your calendar, open your aperture library in iPhoto. Either drag the library onto iPhoto–or right click ap library and choose open with (in) iPhoto.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 25, 2012 - 11:01am

Kathleen,

Vidpixarts is correct. You can only make and order calendars from iPhoto. But I actually layout the photo section of my calendars in Aperture using the book module. The reason is I found the themes inside iPhoto too rigid. You can’t edit the layouts in iPhoto, only choose a layout and add photos to it. In some cases my wife wanted 16 (yes, I said sixteen) photos on one month. You can do almost anything using Aperture’s book module.

I created a custom theme book in Aperture with dimensions 13” x 10.5” with no margins (This is the right size for the photo area in an iPhoto calendar). In this custom book I created my own templates for photo layout. I created one page in the book for each month in the calendar plus the calendar cover.

Once you’ve completed the book pages for the calendar, click the print command while viewing the book. In the print dialog select the PDF menu and then Save PDF to Aperture. After is processes all the pages (could take awhile), a system service will open a small dialog asking which Aperture Project to save the pages to (Existing or New) and you can also select the format (JPEG, TIFF or PDF) and the naming convention. A new project will be created in Aperture with all the completed calendar pages.

Quit Aperture and open your Aperture library with iPhoto and use this new project as the source photos for your calendar. Just choose the single photo layout for each month and select the correct photo. When finished order the calendar from iPhoto.

I was planning to post a tip about this last year but never got the time. I’ve been doing my calendar this way for about 3 years.

Thomas

Thomas

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
November 25, 2012 - 11:34am

Thomas: great tip. Thanks.

Kathleen Yorston's picture
by Kathleen Yorston
November 27, 2012 - 8:26pm

Thank you Thomas. I feel much better about the fact that I couldn’t work it out, because that’s not a simple process. I will experiment and let you know if I have any difficulties.

And Vidpixarts, thank you for your advice as well.

Regards

Kathleen

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness