You are here

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Capture One slow loading speed #1
JW's picture
by JW
March 5, 2015 - 10:34pm

Anyone else experience C1 catalogs taking forever to load?  Once the app is open, then I can load/change catalogs with ease.  But the first time I open the app and the catalog size is at least 40GB, it just takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r.  Reminds me of Aperture 2.  Just painful and my number one complaint.  I’m still using the test version… but maybe things are better once I purchase???

Richard's picture
by Richard
March 6, 2015 - 12:57pm

Not noticing that here, and my machine is not overpowered.

“but maybe things are better once I purchase???”

That is never a good thing to assume. It’s rarely right. :-)

JW's picture
by JW
March 7, 2015 - 5:28pm

Apparently, it is a known issue.  Received this from their tech support (which was pretty cool that they’d reply to a non-customer using their time-bombed app):

Hi

If you are on “All images” in the catalog, then Capture One is strating threads to open all images.
If you instead highlight a low count folder before closing, it will only start opening that folder and it will be much quicker.
We are looking in to things to improve this.

Kind Regards
Phase One support

Pascal P.'s picture
by Pascal P.
March 17, 2015 - 10:25pm

Could also be linked to the size of the preview images?

Alex Sheridan's picture
by Alex Sheridan
April 10, 2015 - 2:32am

I have a fast iMac, with a very fast thunderbolt drobo. My library contains 40k images. C1 opens in 2mins- 10sec. Holy Cow. I will try pre-selecting a low count folder as described above. Hope this works. So far C1 is the best alternative to Aperture. I tried LR… Really not happy with that program. It’s kindof a disorganized mess.

ACS

MikeA's picture
by MikeA
April 11, 2015 - 1:07am

Like I wrote in the other thread, try to relocate your masters out of the Aperture library. I think reading an Aperture managed library may slow C1 down (just an idea).

Timothy Wilson's picture
by Timothy Wilson
April 11, 2015 - 1:54am

My catalog also opens quite slowly, taking about a minute with 63K images. This is with the catalog on an SSD and the referenced images on a Thunderbolt drive.

It was worse when I first created the catalog from my Aperture library (over 2 minutes, like you are seeing) but I used the command “File > Verify Catalog or Session…” and it found some problems which it was able to repair. That improved the file opening time from over two minutes to about a minute. 

Also, selecting either a small folder of images to open at startup or the full “All Images”  collection doesn’t make any difference in the performance.

Best,
Tim

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
April 22, 2015 - 1:10pm

Look at what part of your catalog you have selected in the left sidebar when closing C1. I've noticed that if I select All Images, then loading of the catalog upon next startup can be slow. Selecting an individual Album or Folder that has fewer images speeds up loading on next startup. I've given this feedback to PhaseOne. Don't know if they will find a way to improve that in a future update, but they do seem to be very interested in user feedback so tell them all of the quirks you experience using their Support Case system.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
April 5, 2016 - 4:40pm

I am experiencing this very slow startup as well. When the catalog and referenced files are both on external HDD, I have extremely slow startup. I made a screen recording and provided it to PhaseOne. It is an 8 minute video. I have under 40,000 images and the catalog is about 64GB. I copied the catalog to an internal SSD and left the referenced files on external HDD. Startup was extremely fast by comparison (under 30 seconds vs 5-8 minutes).

I have a running case open with PhaseOne (case #215211 if anyone else wants to reference it in their own case).

Milo's picture
by Milo
April 9, 2016 - 6:12am

I’m using Apple Photos to be my reference catalog because C1 was so slow. C1 is too good and I don’t waste my time editing with any other software. Then Photos is too good at cataloging. jpegs and raw files show as 1 file and the viewing modes are perfect. No need to catalog every single photo with C1

Alex Sheridan's picture
by Alex Sheridan
October 30, 2016 - 6:03pm

Milo, this seems like a brilliant idea.  I would like to reference my growing iPhone images from C1.  Are you able to comment on the following: 

1) Did you create a new C1 catalog for the images in Photos? 

2) By default, Photos does not download images to your computer.  The pictures reside in the iCloud, unless you download them into the Photos application.  Are you only referencing the downloaded images in Photos?  

3) How are you organizing your images in Photos and how does that structure appear in C1

4) Is the metadata, favorites, tags, etc. recognized when referenced by C1

Your idea of referencing your Photos library in C1 could be a great solution for those of us who increasingly use iPhone 7 Plus pictures from our travels, etc.  

Sincerely,  Alex 

ACS

mdirvin's picture
by mdirvin
January 11, 2017 - 2:58am

I haven’t seen the slow starting many have.  My catalog is 82G, and opens in approx. 9.5 seconds either on the internal HD on my laptop,  or the backup copy on an external raid 5 thunderbolt DAS. All files are referenced, there aren’t any stored in the catalog.  Thats opening on a root folder with not thumbnails showing on start up.  The time measurement is the best I can do with a stop watch.

yvesroire's picture
by yvesroire
April 22, 2017 - 11:15am

absolutely.  a pain in the butt

I had. a catalogue. at 70gb

it took  12 hours

it seems. that with Mac there is. a huge problem. 

I have been. writing with them , they know there is a problem but will not. admit 

and so far nothing has really changed. 

I don’t think they know what the problem is 

YVES ROIRE

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
April 22, 2017 - 12:54pm

What is your configuration? Memory? HDD or SSD? Catalog on internal or external disk? I get the best performance from placing the catalog itself on internal SSD and leaving images on external disk. I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB of RAM, 1TB internal SSD, 2TB external portable HDD. My catalog has 56,000 images now.

If I select “All Images”, it sends Capture One into a tailspin where it consumes all 16GB of RAM and then some (so says Activity Monitor). The app locks up for 5-10 minutes, but eventually the memory goes back down and the app becomes responsive again. I opened several cases with Capture One and provided them a lot of evidence of the issue. They agree there is an issue. I believe an update will addresses this. I can't say when that update will be released.

If I select any other folder or album with fewer images with under 1000 image, for example, Capture One is much faster. 

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness