You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Changing to Lion #1
Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
June 24, 2011 - 6:32am

So what are the thoughts for changing to Lion? Is it worth while restoring my mac back to snow leopard original install and just installing the essential upgrades to upgrade to Lion or is it not worth the hassle?

I just do not fancy upgrading to Lion and then discovering that aperture runs like donkey in a Kentucky Derby.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 24, 2011 - 7:33am

Chris,

I’m not a developer so I’m not on the Lion preview, which means I have no idea how Lion will behave for Aperture. What I can guarantee is two things… 1. that Apple engineers are working feverishly to ensure there are minimal problems in the transition, and 2. that there WILL be problems in the transition. No upgrade that big is seamless, but as always, the question to answer is “do the problems outweigh the benefits”, or vice-versa.

I’ll upgrade as soon as it’s out, just because I’m foolish that way, and so I can report back here. But until then, I can’t offer any advice other than “be smart”.

To answer your question on restoring to the original, I certainly wouldn’t do that. And since we will ONLY be able to buy Lion from the App Store, I’m not even sure what options we’ll have other than “click to upgrade”.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
June 24, 2011 - 1:00pm

Joseph implied but didn’t really spell it out. The “Smart” move would be to let others test Aperture 3 and Lion for you. Wait to see what happens before upgrading. If there are lots of issues reported, you can then wait until an update is provided.

Me? Apparently I’m not that smart. I plan to upgrade sooner rather than later. I bought Final Cut Pro X the first day it was available regardless of the negative reports on the ‘net.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 24, 2011 - 2:04pm

Thomas,

I never said I’d follow my own advice ;-) hehe… I downloaded FCPX right away too.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?