You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Changing from Managed to Referenced - help please. #1
Dave K's picture
by Dave K
June 17, 2014 - 5:42pm

Hello, newbie to the forum and so excuse the waffling question!

I am using Aperture 1 on a Mac and all my photos since first use have been ‘managed’.

Recently I found that due to the large amount of images I have taken, my Mac slowed right down and so I took the step of deleting off years worth of photos (after backing them up onto external drives as libraries). So now I only have the last two years worth of photos to look at/work with. This means I cannot go back to my previous photos without importing them back in - a very lengthy and time consuming process when searching for only one image!

I now realise that what I should have done is to have ‘referenced’ my photos instead, so my ‘master/originals’ were held on an external drive.

So, getting to the point! - can I now change my Managed photos to Referenced photos as I would like to consolidate all my photo libraries into one AND still be able to preview all my photos. Is this possible please?

Thanks,
Dave

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 19, 2014 - 6:30pm

Yes  use File…Relocate Original   and point the move to the new location. 

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Dave K's picture
by Dave K
June 20, 2014 - 10:21pm

Thank you. So this will tell Aperture where my 25,000+ photos are but will it display them if I haven’t imported them into Aperture?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 20, 2014 - 10:32pm

When you import images into AP you can make those images Referenced or Managed  at that time.  You have to import images into AP so it can make a small record of the asset or file.  These small records form a library and this library can be either or both Referenced and or Managed.  That means that the Lib can contain the record and the actual image or just the record. Once there is a record / Thumbnail of the image the Larger image can remain on an external HD.   I hope that helps.  

dbm

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Dave K's picture
by Dave K
June 20, 2014 - 10:54pm

Much clearer, as I have backed up my files in ‘vaults’ - can these be reimported to achieve the above?

Thanks for the help so far!

Dave

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 20, 2014 - 11:56pm

Much clearer, but as I don’t want to clog my Mac up with large files am I correct in saying that if I import my images into Aperture but ask them to be referenced then that would leave the masters in the external hard drive, thus ensuring my Mac contains minimal files sizes?

Yes!!!

Also, as I have backed up my files in ‘vaults’ - can these be reimported to achieve the above?

If you change all or part of your Lib from or to Referenced your Vault will reflect that on the next time you update the Vault.  That is your Vault will get smaller if you go to a referenced method cause its not coping the images that were stored in the lib.  All Referenced files need to be backed up separately!!   Referenced images are not backup in the Vault.  Sorry I can’t help but repeat myself when typing this … it is a little confusing.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Dave K's picture
by Dave K
June 21, 2014 - 12:42am

That’s great, thanks very much. I now have a much clearer idea of my plan of action!

Thank you.
- Dave K

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 21, 2014 - 12:46am

Great!   

Groucho Marxs, ” Its so easy a three year old can understand it….. quick go find a three yr old,  I can’t make heads or tails of it”

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Dave K's picture
by Dave K
June 21, 2014 - 12:51am

I must remember to back up my referenced photos separately as previously I just let Vault do everything!

Cheers.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 21, 2014 - 12:53am

Very Important.  Some people don’t use the Vaults but copy the Lib and their external Hd with Copycloner or Superduper.  I still use them  but thats another topic  Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
June 21, 2014 - 9:10pm

I personally stopped using vaults and instead use CCC to back up my entire Aperture library. 

My backup strategy consists of:

1. Time Machine to a Time Capsule for local fast backups with deep versioning every hour
  2. Crashplan+ for offsite disaster recovery, with deep versioning every 15 minutes
  3. Nightly clones performing incremental updates to a local clone drive (no versioning)
  4. Occasional clones to a pair of portable HDDs, one of which is always located off site locked in my desk drawer at work

This gives me a total of four, up to date copies of my data all the time… and a “reasonably” up to date copy on my pair of HDDs.

As David mentioned… once you move to referenced originals… you will NO LONGER HAVE any backups of your originals in vaults.   Backing up your originals becomes your own responsibility.

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

Dave K's picture
by Dave K
June 21, 2014 - 11:41pm

Thanks for that Jim.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?