You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Changing from Managed to Referenced? #1
MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
October 31, 2013 - 10:22am

Hi Guys,
Had Aperture for a few months now, pretty much got a handle on the image editing,
I have the last 2 years Managed and the rest Referenced
In the new year, I intend to just have the current year managed, (750GB SSD).

Want to make sure I have a grasp of the terminology when I try to make the change!
Is this right?

RELOCATE ORIGINAL
Moves the original files to the selected external HDD and are now “Referenced”?
and
CONSOLIDATE ORIGINAL
Moves the original files onto the Mac HDD and are now “Managed”?

Have I got this right?
Hate to mess this one up, everything has just gone so smoothly so far an am just loving Aperture
Regards,
Gary

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
October 31, 2013 - 11:00am

Yes young grasshopper you have grasped the stone but you are not a Jedi yet!
First you must forget half of which you have learned. Cheers DBM

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
October 31, 2013 - 11:43am

Thank You,
Much appreciated,

“First you must forget half of which you have learned”

At my age, that is getting easy!
With all the learning of switching to Mac and Aperture, just hoping I’ll keep all the neurones connected a little longer
…..Gary

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 1, 2013 - 7:58am

Managed means the images are stored inside the Library folder, where ever that Library lives. It could live on your internal HD or an external HD.

Referenced means the images are store outside the Library folder, where ever you choose to store them, again either on the internal HD or on an external HD. As with managed, the Library itself can live anywhere .. internal or external HD .. on the same HD as the referenced images or on a different HD.

Relocate Originals will move them from inside the Library folder OR from their current referenced location … to any new location you select.

Consolidate Originals will always move them FROM their current location outside the Library folder INTO the Library folder.

-Walter

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
November 1, 2013 - 8:47pm

Thanks Walter
That makes sense
For some reason that jargon just did not sound right, took me a while to get a handle on it
lets hope all the bugs are fixed when I go to Relocate Originals at the end of the year

Starting to get the odd crash since going to Mavericks when I am editing in full screen
Does appear fix itself when I close and reopen Aperture
….Gary

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness