You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Changing time format in file name? #1
Debbie's picture
by Debbie
September 19, 2011 - 12:49pm

Hi, I'm wondering if the 24 hour format or military time I think it's called, is the only time format option we have for file names? When I rename on import it's added automatically to the file name in that format and I can't find a way to change it. I'm not very good with that format and don't like having to try to convert it in my mind when I see it. I may start leaving the time out if I can't change it to a format familiar to me, such as 5:45:30. TIA!

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2011 - 9:50am

Debbie,

Is that 5:45:30 am or pm? ;-)

I don’t think you can change it. The point being of course that without the AM/PM, you don’t know which it is.

Of course all these naming concepts are just suggestions; if it doesn’t work for you, no need to include it. In my logic, by having the date and time as YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS you have a perfect chronological order forced.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
September 21, 2011 - 9:54am

Ahhh… I see your point. That’s why you’re the expert and I’m not. LOL! Okay, I think I’ll leave the date out of my file naming b/c it really makes me nuts in that format. ;)

Thanks!

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2011 - 10:18am

Debbie,

No problem. Just keep in mind that if you’re shooting with multiple cameras, then you may end up getting photos out of order without the HHMMSS in there. If you just use one camera, it shouldn’t be an issue.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
September 21, 2011 - 1:17pm

Does the iPhone count? I shoot with my Canon S95 and my iPhone. I also import lots of scanned photos, but I put them in their own library. I just hate that the date’s tougher to read when that confusing time format follows it. Oh, I also shoot in burst mode frequently when trying to capture movement. Maybe I need the time b/c of that? Hmmm… gotta think about this some more. ;)

Thanks again! :)

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 22, 2011 - 3:30am

Debbie,

I tend to not mix my iPhone photos with the big-camera photos, but that all depends on your workflow.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
September 22, 2011 - 4:33am

Joseph, I can understand why you wouldn’t mix them. You’re a professional. I’m just a hobbyist and amateur, and probably take more iPhone photos than regular camera photos lately. It’s just on me all the time so it’s easy. I mix them because I use all kinds of photos (iPhone, Canon Camera, scanned) for scrapbooking. Even my scanned photos get mixed back in to my main library chronologically after I’ve organized, labeled, and keyworded them. I do have smart albums on the side that gather my iPhone photos and my various camera model photos, but my Projects are all chronological by year and month (newest at the top) and include photos from all devices.

The reason I leave my iPhone photo file names unchanged is b/c I never delete iPhone photos from my iPhone. Yep, it’s true. Some friends think that’s crazy, but I like to have them all on my phone. With my Canon photos I can reformat the SD card after I import and backup, so it’s okay to change the file name as I won’t see duplicates next time I import b/c I’ve wiped the card clean. Oh, and I added the time back to the file name import preset for my Canon photos. You convinced me. ;)

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 22, 2011 - 7:24am

Debbie,

haha cool, I think you’ll get used to it and for the most part, you probably aren’t looking at the file name to determine what time it was taken — that info is there to force the sort order. And remember you can put any number of dashes or underscores or whatever you like to separate the date and time, if that makes it easier for you to read.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Rafael Cruz's picture
by Rafael Cruz
December 18, 2012 - 8:14am

Aperture fallows system date and time formats. Its very customisable and accessible on System Preferences > Language & Text > Region.

Hope it helps.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?