You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Color shift in Aperture raw processing #1
Diane Knappenberger's picture
by Diane Knappenberger
August 28, 2013 - 1:29am

I switched to Aperture about 3 years ago and I've been going back and re-processing many of my favorite images. I've noticed in certain circumstances that there is a color shift with how Aperture renders raw files. It mostly occurs with purple flowers (seems like too much pink) or skies (seems like too much green).

I've tried various things to correct the color, like the Hue Boost in the RAW fine tuning brick, as well as messing around with the Color brick, but I can't seem to really get close. I'm committed to Aperture and so I'm looking for some guidance on how to edit in these situations to get back to a more natural hue.

I used to use Capture NX 2 and I'm using this as a base for what would be more or less correct in these situations. I created comparison JPEGs from both Aperture and NX2 to see what the difference is and to provide a target for the problem areas.

I posted these on a public photostream here >
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A1G6XBubG5pSqC;4779F5C5-722F-4AB2-B8

Appreciate any tips, thanks!

Diane

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
August 29, 2013 - 2:22am

Every raw processing engine could likely produce different results, even if you gave all of them the same white balance numbers and had no other adjustments applied to each of them. I have found that white balance settings in general produce different results in Adobe’s raw engine than it does in Aperture’s raw engine. Remember that each also has their own camera profile database.

Have you played with the hue adjustments in the Aperture Color brick?

Diane Knappenberger's picture
by Diane Knappenberger
August 29, 2013 - 4:06am

Yes, I have tried the hue adjustments in the color brick. I wasn’t completely sure that I knew what I was doing, and it got within the ballpark, but not what I would call close. Maybe I just need to keep trying.

I can make slight improvements by adjusting the white balance to match the Nikon color temperatures and by reducing the Hue boost, but hue boost especially is very easy to go too far.

Is there a way to use an eyedropper on a color in one application and try to get the same color in Aperture to have the same RGB values? Or is that stupid?

Diane

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?