You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Compress Large TIFFs After A Round Trip To A Plug-in #1
Bob Decker's picture
by Bob Decker
May 13, 2014 - 2:16pm

I process a lot of my RAW files using plug-ins (such as NIK) within Aperture.  The returned file is a large TIFF (about 137mB).  Is there a way to compress this TIFF while still having enough detail to do further processing in Aperture?

Thanks, Bob

Rolf Schmolling's picture
by Rolf Schmolling
May 14, 2014 - 10:45am

well, though I do not have a definite answer to your question: a TIFF is a lossless format. You will never loose quality like with a JPEG. There are a bunch of compression options for TIFF files, usually offered by Photoshop. One I know is LWZ, but cannot say how much space that will save. It probably depends on the plugins you use, and if they offer this options. Otherwise there would always be the possibility to do (another) to Photoshop to save the files with some compression. Something to check first in preferences: do not let Aperture create a NEW version TIFF for they additional roundtrip.

Another possibility would be to export the “finished” files in either JPEG and re-import, or as TIFF and store them someplace else.

Perhaps some others can chime in.

Regards, R.

Scott Davenport's picture
by Scott Davenport
May 16, 2014 - 1:32am

Assuming you are finished processing and are completely happy with the end result, the process is as Rolf describes. Export in a different format (ex: JPG), re-import the just-exported file, reject/delete the original. I personally shy away from converting to a lossy format until I'm finished post-processing.

There's the “Convert Master File Format” script in the ApertureExpert store that automates the process of exporting a “large” file format and reimporting a “smaller” one. It works very well and I use it often. 

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness