You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Confused about printing settings #1
John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
August 6, 2015 - 4:37am

Could someone help with printing advice, please?  How can I judge which printer settings will give me the best-printed (i.e. maximum information taken from the original RAW file) image? For example, if I chose 300dpi and “Fit within 15” x 10” inches,” I get a 3.7 MB JPEG image (which seems a low count to me for this size of print). But if I choose say a custom  9,600 x 7,600 density, I can double or triple the pixel count. But is that a good idea? 

I’m using a local photo printing store that uses inkjet tech and says it can handle virtually any pixel density I choose. Is there a rule of thumb formula to follow?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 7, 2015 - 5:42am

Just export a high quality JPEG set to full size. That’s the maximum pixel density you’ll get without interpolating new pixels. You don’t need to worry about the dpi setting. It won’t change the amount of data in the file.

Thomas

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
August 8, 2015 - 3:24am

Thomas–Thanks for replying. Please clarify some points in your answer.

By  ”full size” do you mean “Original Size” in the Aperture Export Preset box?

Also, I’m working in RAW, so I’m exporting a RAW file that will be turned into a JPEG file for printing. Okay?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 8, 2015 - 4:23am

Yes, original size. I always forget the terminology if I don’t look at it.

You’re exporting a JPEG file that is a representation of your RAW file with the adjustments you made applied.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness