You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Convert Master File Format for Lightroom #1
bendemont's picture
by bendemont
March 2, 2016 - 3:42pm

I’ve made the move from Aperture to Lighroom.  There was an Applescript made by Morten Scheel called ‘Convert Master File Format’ which I found particularly useful.  Does anything exist like this for Lightroom?

If you don’t know what this plugin is, this is how it functions:

Select Master files.

Run Applescript

Choose output file format, resize and whether or not to discard the original masters.

Watch as the script converts all the masters to the new file formats.

Lightroom seems to offer a DNG conversion but that only shrinks file size by 20% and does not adjust image size.  I can export the photos to disk, delete the masters and reimport the new JPEGs, but this feels like there are a few too many steps involved.

I understand that it’s not a good idea to completely destroy the masters but sometimes I find albums of 50 RAW files of me and some friends down the local pub.  Sometimes these files do not warrant the hard drive space and could do with being smaller.  I think the Aperture script was fantastic and would like something in Lightroom too.

Many thanks

Ben

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
March 4, 2016 - 5:09pm

Ben, Unfortunately I can not think of any other way other than what you described, i.e., set up an export preset for type of file (JPEG), image size ,etc, export it to a folder and then re-import it.  Unfortunately, all you can do with a develop module preset would be to create a crop size preset that would be applied and then convert to DNG (or you could import as a DNG to begin with.)  However, there may be a way to do this using PS.  You may be able to set up an action to do what you want and then save it back into Lr.

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 4, 2016 - 9:33pm

You can export your images into their original folder, at what ever size you want, in whatever format you want, and have LR automatically import those into the Catalog as part of the process. Once done, you can filter the folder for the “old” format and delete them if you want, or you can filter for only the “new” format to just see those.

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
March 5, 2016 - 4:51pm

Of course, the” add to this catalog” option on Export.  Thanks, Walter!

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?