You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Create Projects by year #1
john samels's picture
by john samels
August 8, 2013 - 12:02pm

Hello, I have an old library of photos from a few difference old cameras, iphones, etc. Is there a way to have Aperture throw these into projects by year?
Or what is the best way to organize imported photos.
Thanks!

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 8, 2013 - 12:41pm

John,

I would suggest reading Joseph’s 3 part article on Organizing Your Aperture Library.

Thomas

BonnieB's picture
by BonnieB
August 26, 2013 - 1:54pm

Joseph’s e-book really helped me when I started moving photos into Aperture:

ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3

I eventually went back through the imported iPhoto Library/Events folder and converted all the old photos to the date-based structure. It really makes it a lot easier for me to navigate and find stuff.

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
August 18, 2013 - 12:45pm

In general, Full-year projects seem a bit course to me. I name projects by the first day of of the project…even if it is multi-day. For example, I am currently camping on the Oregon coast for the weekend, and my pictures will go into a single project called:
2013-08-15 Nehalem Bay Camping

It will be located in a chronologically sorted album called: 2013

However, I did scan 10’s of thousands of old prints, negatives, and slides from my pre-digital days, and also from now deceased family members.

I have the oldest of these located in in very few projects at decade granularity. I made those manually. By the time I reached the timeframe when my wife and i were born… our childhood pictures are roughly sorted into yearly projects. It really wasn’t very hard to do.

Baby the time we got to the days of having our own kids… We put them into our best guess of the month the pictures were taken… But we also put them into individually themed projects (ex: Christmas, or Walt Disney World vacation)

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness