You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Creating a new version of all photos in project, apply preset and keep seperate? #1
Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 17, 2011 - 8:12pm

I've been boggling my mind as to how to achieve this: I have some 200 photos in a project, standard JPG photos. I'd like to create a new something with these photos, and apply a preset to all of them. But I'd like to keep my original jpeg files as well (still viewable), in another something, so I can browse the originals without seeing any of the modified, and vice versa.

What's the best way to do this? Create two smart albums, one that looks for adjustments and one that excludes (if that's possible) and then keep two versions of each photo, in the actual project?

Or is it better/easier to work with albums? Or create a brand new project?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
July 18, 2011 - 7:21pm

Klaus

The way you propose with smart albums is the way I’d do it. There will only be on jpg though and two renderings of it in the project and links back from the smart albums. It just looks as though there are four files.

David

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 19, 2011 - 2:14am

Klaus,

Smart Albums will work fine, assuming that your originals have no adjustments. You can use the search criteria Adjustments: are applied [screenshot] (and are not applied to separate them. Or, when you create a new version, the file name will have ” - Version 2” appended to it, so you could separate by files that have that text in the name.

Here’s another trick to avoid the Smart Album all together. If this is confusing at all, let me know and I can record a video for it.

1. disable “Automatically stack new versions” in preferences (you can put it back on later if that’s how you like to work).
2. Create two albums; “original” and “modified” (or whatever)
3. Add all the originals into the “original” album
4. Select all and Duplicate Versions (be sure that Primary Only is disabled, or you’ll only duplicate the primary selection).
5. DO NOT deselect anything… this is important. Drag the newly created and currently selected versions into the “modified” album. Aperture will switch to that album when you do this.
6. Return to the “originals” album. If you were careful, all the new versions are still selected.
7. Delete the versions from that album (just tap the delete key). This will only remove them from the album.

Now you’ll have all your originals in the “originals” album, and the ones named ” - Version 2” will be in the “modified”.

Or, go with a smart album ;-)

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 22, 2011 - 2:02am

Thanks guys, it was the auto-stack thing that caused some confusion in the way I tried to do it.

In the end I ended up going with smart albums though, as it seemed like the easiest way to do it.

So thanks again - and thanks for offering to make a video, but that won’t be necessary, I understand what you mean :)

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?