You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Creating new versions of multiple images in a new album #1
Jonathan Walters's picture
by Jonathan Walters
February 6, 2011 - 12:34am

Hi - say I import a group of images, I then want two albums, one to hold a version in colour, the other in Black & White. Is there a command or a script to quickly duplicate the selected photo's? The Create New Version just seems to duplicate the primary selected image and do so in the same album. Dragging to a new album just places the same version in the new album.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jaimie Harris's picture
by Jaimie Harris
February 6, 2011 - 7:58pm

I am working on a script to do this as it is something that features in my own workflow as I give my customers a mono version of their shots. Here’s what I do currently:

1. Ensure that Primary Only is not selected in the Edit menu

2. Select all of the images

3. Right click one of the images in the Browser and select Duplicate Version. This will create a copy of all of the selected images in the same library. I prefer it to New Version From Master because it copies all of the changes I have already made like colour correction and cropping.
The new versions have ” - Version 2” appended to the Version Name.

4. Now create a smart album where the setting is Text includes “- Version 2”
This is for your monos

5. Now create a smart album where the setting is Text does not include “- Version 2”
This is for your colour shots.

The key to this is the Primary Only which says whether you want to apply the change to only the first item selected or all of them.

Also, you can apply one of the Black & White presets to all of the shots in your smart album at once if Primary Only is off.

Sorry if this is a bit verbose and once I have my script working, I will post it back here.

Jai

Jonathan Walters's picture
by Jonathan Walters
February 7, 2011 - 12:50am

This is great Jai - just what I was looking for! I think the bit I was missing the Primary Only. I’ve now set up a new Project Structure using the Smart Albums to separate the Versions etc.

Look forward to seeing your automated version!

Thanks again

Jon

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 9, 2011 - 10:52pm

Hi guys. Love the script idea Jai—but it looks like you’ve run into an issue where Smart Albums can’t be created by Applescript? Bummer. If you do find a work-around, please consider writing it up in the User Tips forum. If you want to host the script there for download, we can do that too—just let me know.

Jon, as Jai pointed out, a step you were missing was to disable Primary Only. FYI, I’ve remapped my keyboard to make this shortcut simply “s”, but that’s a holdover from my Final Cut Pro days (“s” for “solo”, basically the exact same concept and I believe where this idea in Aperture originated). I hit this shortcut constantly!

However there may be an even easier way to do what you want. If you have a photo in an Album and create a New Version (from Master or not), that new version becomes the Album Pick. This is a variation on Stack Pick, where the Album Pick becomes the “stack pick”—but only in that Album.

So, all you have to do is add the photos you want to create your B&W version of into a new Album, and then from that Album, select New Version. Close the Stacks immediately and all you’ll see is your ” - Version 2” images.

I’ll write this up as a tip on the front page. It’s a simple but overlooked capability.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness