You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cropping in 3.2 #1
Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
October 17, 2011 - 7:25am

Has anyone noticed when you crop a photo that it seems to get mixed up with the width and height?

If I am editing a landscape photo it gives me the dimensions for portrait and vice versa… It doesn't do it all the time maybe 1 in every 3 crops.

I have the aspect ratio set for master aspect ratio, however I need to set it to custom in order to rectify.

Is it only me experiencing this? Is it something I have done, is there a setting somewhere I am missing to tick?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 28, 2011 - 10:47am

Aperture 3.2.1 update just posted. It claims to fix the cropping issues.

Thomas

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
October 21, 2011 - 7:12am

Nope, I think I found it on the Apple Discussion boards or something. I just thought it was relevant to share here!

They also suggested trashing plist, but I tried that and it didn’t help (it’s possible that when it did solve it for some, it was simply turning off the onscreen proofing).

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 17, 2011 - 8:21am

I saw a minor glitch the first time I used crop after the update. But there’s a few threads on the Apple forums about it and Derrick Story tweeted a question about whether anyone was seeing crop issues with the update so you are not alone. I suspect a bug creeped into the last update that will need fixing.

Thomas

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
October 17, 2011 - 10:24pm

Thank goodness, I thought it was just me going crazy.

Tom Bracht's picture
by Tom Bracht
October 19, 2011 - 9:58am

Yes indeed. Highly annoying! When you first crop a photo in portrait mode with any aspect ratio constraint applied, it works as expected. But when you exit the crop tool, re-enter it and drag one of the corners, your crop suddenly switches to landscape mode. Looks like a serious bug to me and it drives me up the walls.
In fact I don’t like the way they changed how crop and straighten work together. It’s fine the way it is displayed, but I feel you can’t change the crop as ‘freely’ as you could before when you have an active straighten adjustment. When you ‘hit’ the boundaries of the image, Aperture does some weird snapping or stopping.
The behaviour when dragging the edges on the crop tool alone has changed, too.
Why oh why…? Sorry. Rant over.
Tom

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 19, 2011 - 10:15am

Tom, all,

Definitely annoying. I see the problem and have been working on a work-around. I’ll post something on the front page now; I have some half-assed workarounds that will help in the interim.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
October 19, 2011 - 10:31am

I just want to add that for me this was happening a good month or two ago. I haven’t tried cropping since the update b/c I started exporting my photos to iPhoto for cropping when this trouble began for me way back then. I know this isn’t going to help at all, but I wanted to let y’all know anyway.

~Debbie

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
October 19, 2011 - 11:23am

Oh I posted a comment in the workarounds, but thought it might be worth a mention here.

It appears if you have on screen proofing profiles turned on, the view of the vertically oriented (portrait) images when in crop mode are, well, cropped - you can’t see the top 1/3 (or what ever ratio). Seems to me this is related to the same bug, like it’s an orientation flag not reading correctly or something.

The obvious workaround is to turn off the onscreen proofing profile while cropping.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 19, 2011 - 12:45pm

That’s fantastic Mr. Kgoo, thank you!

Did you find this yourself? Bonus points to you man!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness