You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Custom Sort in Viewer #1
Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
October 14, 2012 - 1:38am

I would like to be able to change the sort order in the Viewer, but sort based upon the values in a custom field. The Viewer allows you to change the sort, but only to a pre-defined set of fields. Is there a magical way to sort on a custom field? If so, how?

If not, I have two thoughts on how I could get around this limitation. First, I could possibly use AppleScript to implement a Manual Sort - but I'm not sure if Applescript can be used to change the manual sort. Does anyone know? Second, I could write an Applescript to add the custom field as the first keyword, then sort on keyword.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tim

FYI - If anyone is interested, here's WHY I want to do this. One of my largest libraries contains about 10,000 family history photos. I gave up trying to set the date of each photo (how do you set the date when you only know the year or decade without setting the day and month to an arbitrary value, adding false information?) So I created my own date field, which I can then populate with things like “1956-12-25”, “1892”, or “1930s”. This allows me to be accurate with the date information as I know it, and it should be possible to sort on that field - if Aperture will let me.

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
October 14, 2012 - 6:42am

You can sort on a custom field in List View.

You will have to first add your custom field to list view using View|Metadata Display|Customize (or ⌘-J). Then whenever you want to sort on your custom field, display list view and sort on the custom field column. You can return to grid view and the sort order will be maintained. Note that it won’t show up in the predefined list though, so you have to go back to list view every time you want to resort.

I’ve also noted that blank custom fields always sort to the bottom of the list regardless of whether you sort ascending or descending. That’s not normal sort sequence…maybe a bug? List view has more than it’s share of quirkiness and display oddities–but that’s for another topic.

Hope this helps.

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
October 14, 2012 - 11:25am

Jim - that seems to work perfectly and was just what I was looking for. Thank you!!!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?