You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ducking audio in Slideshow #1
bob william's picture
by bob william
November 27, 2012 - 8:45pm

Couldn't find this addressed in FAQs.

In iMovie one can duck (lower the volume) of audio applied to an entire movie so the sound recorded in a video clip can still be heard instead of the audio added to it.

In Aperture 3.3.2, if I create a slideshow and add music to the whole show there will be a conflict between the music I add and the sound recorded in the video clip. The techs at my Apple store say there is no way to duck the audio I've added so I can hear the clip's own sound.

Does anyone know if I can duck the audio I added so I can hear the clip's own sounds and then return to the added audio to play over the still images in the slideshow after the video clip itself is finished playing ?

Thank you

Bob

Bob S.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
November 28, 2012 - 12:30am

With the video clip selected in the film strip area, at the top of the “Selected Slides” are the volume options for the audio from the clip, and the option to reduce the volume of the main soundtrack file.

Screen Shot

bob william's picture
by bob william
November 28, 2012 - 9:53am

Thank you very much.

Bob S.

Nick Andreacci's picture
by Nick Andreacci
August 9, 2013 - 2:09am

With version 3.4.5 of Aperture, this audio volume level feature on the “Selected Slides” tab appears to have been removed. Why would Apple do this?
Does anyone know now how to configure the main track audio NOT to duck when a video clip comes up in the slideshow? I have a long (23 minute) slideshow in Aperture with 395 photos, 6 video clips and one long audio track that fits the number of photos exactly. Aperture seems to be automatically ducking the main audio track every time a video clip arrives. The video clips I am using purposefully have no audio. I do not want the main audio track to duck. Any suggestions?

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
August 9, 2013 - 4:03am

I’m using 3.4.5 … and the audio controls are still there … the control does not appear unless you select the video clip in the timeline filmstrip … just dial the down the clips volume to zero in the top slider … and don’t tick the “Reduce the main track volume option …

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
August 9, 2013 - 7:46am

I recommend using Fotomagico 4 for all your slideshow needs.

It is available via the App Store and is vastly more flexible and sophisticated than the inbuilt basic slideshow abilities of Aperture.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
August 9, 2013 - 9:04am

Fotomagico is no doubt a very nice app … but it defeats my main goal of working directly with my RAW images as much as possible and avoiding the creation of mountains of derivative files over the course of a year … then all the related housekeeping that entails.

I switched from Lightroom to Aperture 3 because I make on average about 200 books/albums per year … and so far in 2013, I have made about 100 -120 slideshows (that’s about 10,000 to 12,000 images I didn’t have to export so far this year) … in both areas, Aperture kicks Lr butt in a major fashion.

While there are other options that may appear to be superior on the surface (I have tested quite a few) … Slideshows in Aperture are quite easy to create and you are only limited by your imagination … I rarely use the canned templates, mostly using full custom and/or Ken Burns themes … Doing so has simplified my workflow quite a bit. Not to mention, Fotomagico $20 more than Aperture 3 …

Dwane Watsek's picture
by Dwane Watsek
August 9, 2013 - 11:46am

Butch;

I’d be intrigued to hear more your process(es). Although I’ve used Fotomagico for many years, it’s really because I’m not very artistically inclined and Aperture is just so simple…and only Aperture/iPhoto have the Places Themes which I like because I mostly use the slide shows to document my travels. Having said that, there are some of the more elaborate capabilities that I wish Aperture had from the Boinx product.

Dwane Watsek

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
August 9, 2013 - 10:35pm

Dwane … my process is rather simple … I select the images I want to include in the slideshow, create a new album of those new versions, apply a specific color label to those images so I know in the future they were used for this purpose … then I add any special processing that would enhance the images for the purpose … bump up saturation, apply vignettes, bump up the edge sharpening a bit more, etc. … then create a new slideshow using Ken Burns theme (you can easily change individual transitions later as needed) … then I check the auto cropping of the individual images and adjust the frames as needed. Then add any video clips and the music soundtrack or any other audio files as needed … (Many of my shows are sports related and I gather pre-game and post game interviews, both straight audio recording with iPhone and video clips, with coaches, players and even parents or fans to include in the show … (this is where the ducking comes into play) … then I run though the show one last time and see if there is any better timing I can do with the music … then export … average show takes me about 30-45 min. to assemble …

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?