You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
DXO Optics #1
Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
May 8, 2014 - 6:09pm

Hi, Just want to know if any Aperture users are also using DXO Optics as a part of their workflow?
If so any advice or tips on integrating the DXO products with Aperture would be nice. Thanks.

Don Schaefer's picture
by Don Schaefer
May 15, 2014 - 12:54am

Paul, I’m using DxO Optics Pro as my primary editor. That is, I import RAW images into a folder, open DxO, edit, and export as TIFF to another folder. I import those TIFFs into Aperture for further adjustment, storage, redistribution, printing. I found that the easiest workflow. I like to keep my RAW files stored separately. That said, DxO doesn’t support an earlier camera model I worked with a lot, so I had no problem bringing those images into Aperture directly from the camera.

If you go to the DxO forum, you’ll find other workflows.

DxO has superior noise reduction, distortion and aberration control, and sharpness control. I usually work on the edges of the camera’s capabilities, so I need all that control. For average work, Aperture is great. It’s my base image application.

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
May 15, 2014 - 4:58am

DXO and Aperture

HI.

I use Aperture (Referenced) as a DAM, DXO as a raw converter (referenced by design) - export to Aperture   – Aperture adjustments, printing, and I can use my plugins (Nik etc) on DXO TIFFS which actually become Aperture TIFFS or I can move Aperture exported TIFFs into DxO and so on. works with JPEGS too.

Couple of hitches— In DxO:  if you export to application, your file is put in the Aperture DB,  (tiff is about 5MB) if you export to file to the referenced file system, tiff is 80-100MB) Some people don’t like the large tiffs, but if you look at any raw you edit with a plugin in Aperture, it becomes a ~100mb tiff. Personally I like the bigger files,more information. 

You can use a Aperture managed DB, but you have to get the raws out of the DB by export or by a plugin called “Catapult”. I converted my a DB to referenced. I select the file in Aperture via search/ albums/keywords. Get info to where it is in the file system (show in finder). Go to Dxo and open the file from the referenced sytstem and work from there. Then export DXO tiff file back into a new directory within the original project directory, import into Aperture ( same project and stack). I can edit theDXO tiff with Nik or Topaz or any plugin. I can export jpegs for the web, email etc. Aperture has better printing than DxO.

Note: I do not export sidecars in  DXO as i only have on computer. Also when you backup ytou get a ton of little DOP files which are pretty useless ( at least to me).

Right now I have a little bit of a reverse work flow. I’m just got a Fuji x-A1. Dxo does not support this camera. I export in Aperture to at tiff that i can open in DXO and back to Aperture. Some of DXO features are disabled because there is no camera/lens info. DXO does not support the X-Trans sensor, X-A1 is a CMOS, They do support Fuji CMOS - bt not the X-A1— hopefully there will be support soon. This is true for all tiffs opened in DXO  — some features  disabled.

Referenced file system has been much better from me. If  I accidently delete a file, It shows up in my backup history and I can reimport. Harder to recover from an Aperture DB.  - if you have a backup

BTW — the guy who does mac support for DXO is very good

Hope this helps.  and  makes sense !

Mark

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
May 15, 2014 - 5:04am

I also use DXO Film Pack. I like it because I can pick a color balance, based on film, to start with.— or change later

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
May 15, 2014 - 9:36am

Thanks guys for responding.
I had a good play with DXO and quite liked how the RAW files were converted with a minimum of fuss. However getting them back to Aperture can be messy. However I didn’t try “Catapult”

The trial is now over so the deliberation starts. I did also try “Viewpoint” which I thought was very good.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness