You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
DxO Viewpoint 2 Distortion and Aperture #1
Tom Thomson's picture
by Tom Thomson
November 25, 2013 - 4:35am

I just bought DxO VP2 and am learning to use it as a plug-in to Aperture 3.0.  When trying to apply the Distortion adjustment, I am being told that I must open the original image to apply the fix.  I cannot direct the application to the original image within my Aperture library but rather must exit VP2, export the original of the image in question from Aperture to a separate location on my drive, and then start over in VP2 and direct it to that image that’s now outside of Aperture.  This is a pretty obnoxious workflow issue, and I’m wondering if it’s a bug in my installation, if I’m doing something wrong, if there’s an easier work-around, or if this is actually the way VP2 is designed to work with Aperture.  The Distortion adjustment is the only one in VP2 where this must be done, and the DxO web site is unhelpful in its discussion of the issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tom Thomson

Gary with a big Mac's picture
by Gary with a big Mac
November 25, 2013 - 10:58am

I have the same program, 

With mine, I think I have to change to a tiff first?

Haven’t tried it with a NEF file

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed

Tom Thomson's picture
by Tom Thomson
November 25, 2013 - 12:54pm

I have successfully opened NEF (Nikon RAW) files in VP2 after exporting them from Aperture.

Tom Thomson

Jon Dobyns's picture
by Jon Dobyns
November 26, 2013 - 4:22am

I am using the Demo of the same program, version 2.1.0. Aperture 3.4.5 and OSX 10.8.5  and managing my photos using Referenced Files. Opens and adjust just fine from the plug-in drop down menu. Have not noticed any issue in the past 20 days and will most likely buy the plug in when the 30 days is up 

PeterO's picture
by PeterO
November 30, 2013 - 12:52pm

This is a major pain, I agree. If you click on a link in the plugin, it explains why it needs to do it. Apparently tiffs generated by Aperture do not contain sufficient info, so the plugin needs to access exif of the original RAW file. The whole process becomes so cumbersome, it almost defeats the purpose. BTW, you can point to the original file from within the plugin as long as you remember the file name and location. From that point on, results are very good though.

Russell's picture
by Russell
November 30, 2013 - 1:28pm

I’m not familiar with DxO VP2 but if it’s installed as an app as well as a plugin, can you adapt the Automator workaround I posted about previously? 

https://www.apertureexpert.com/comment/23935#comment-23935

If it’s an app, just substitute DxO for CNX2. If I’m completely off-beam with this then I apologise. As I said, I’m not familiar with DxO.

Russell

Russell's picture
by Russell
November 30, 2013 - 1:29pm

Double post - new website sure don’t like iPads…

Russell

Ambulater's picture
by Ambulater
December 1, 2013 - 3:20am

As far as I can tell from my experimentation, this (while brilliant) won’t work for DxO VP2. The reason is that VP2 can’t open RAW files. So it ends up being a two step process. You have to first export a TIFF to VP2, then when VP2 request it, you have to point VP2 to the RAW file to read the EXIF information (it doesn’t open the RAW file, just pull EXIF data that it can’t seem to get from the TIFF for some reason). This seems like a problem that the folks at DxO need to solve.

Ambulater's picture
by Ambulater
December 1, 2013 - 3:24am

By the way, if you have the full DxO suite (DxO Optics Pro 9), the work around described above will work. Optics Pro opens RAW files so you can round trip the RAW as described above without having to convert to TIFF or point the app to the original RAW.

Francois Arbour's picture
by Francois Arbour
December 12, 2013 - 2:40am

Hi,

Here what I saw of DXO website, I just tried it and it works.

“Error “DxO ViewPoint can only open JPEG or TIFF files” when exporting to DxO ViewPoint from aperture

Background

Aperture can’ t export as JPEG even if a JPEG is open, it will only export as TIFF or PSD

Solution

In aperture, open the software preferences. In the export tab, set TIFF instead of PSD.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?