You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Element sizes and text sizes #1
Luc L.L.'s picture
by Luc L.L.
November 14, 2013 - 11:47am

I don’t want to discuss if size matters :-) … but

I find the text headers on the posts or articles quite big… I’m using standard settings but the font size looks like much bigger then necessary, even for a title.  Maybe this is because the size or resolution on which the site has been developed is much higher, but on standard screen   (like I’m now working on my office station…. and YES the site also works on this PC with Chrome) the text elements just appear HUGE!.

Also the picture of the Nikon 610 on the post of the RAW update covers about my entire screen on my office laptop.  Personally the images could be much smaller, unless some specific detail is of interest in them, but otherwise they should not consume the majority of the entire screen.

This is also the case for the article/block elements on the intro page, they seems sooo huge, feels more looking at a commercial folder/site instead.  (Sorry! Very Nice work of the new site … just want to be honest).

On the iPad when scrolling down on the forum pages e.g. the commercial banners are the size of the entire iPad screen (using the iPad Air).  I think this is waaay too big.  The banner’s size as they are on the overview of the store are much better.

nevertheless … keep up the good work!

Regards,

Luc

Luc - Mini/MBP/MBPR - QNAP NAS, Nikon D5300, AW100, Sony TR3

TattooedMac's picture
by TattooedMac
November 14, 2013 - 12:42pm

Im with you on this. The Header Title font is just waaaay to big, but i think it comes down to the “type” of font being used, that it looks so big. I think that size needs to be reduced. Well to be honest, all types font as well for Posts are really big. I just sized it, and this font that I’m writing thous with now, is Size 16, and for a forum, thats just too big IMHO.

Its a clean font, as with the Header fonts, but too clean and big for what it should be, i feel as if I’m reading a noobies blog on Wordpress or something :((

And @Luc L.L. that picture on my 13” MBP takes up nearly the size of the full browser in height FYI . .  So it isn’t just you.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunnelling through a mountain with your forehead.
"Can't innovate any more, my ass" Phil Schiller

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 14, 2013 - 3:25pm

I agree the text fonts are too large. On my browser Safari > Inspect Element shows 16px. I think smaller, maybe 12 or 14 px would be better. Maybe even use a pt instead of px so that it more appropriately scales to the user’s device being.

Bart Podraza's picture
by Bart Podraza
November 14, 2013 - 4:16pm

I’m with you guys on this one.

Just want to point out one more thing - the size of Nikon D610 thumbnail in “Digital Camera RAW Update 5.01 for Aperture and iPhoto, Including Nikon D610” tip is actually 1.9 MB and 1261x1536 pixels in size and is nowhere near thumbnail. It’s just the HTML resized version of original image and therefore loads very slowly. Maybe it’s one separate issue in this post only but definitely something to double check.

Other than that the site looks great. 

Cheers!

– Bart

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 14, 2013 - 9:28pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

On font size — the fonts are all quite large because it's a bit of a trend, to be honest. Personally I like the big size but I'm definitely open to feedback. Live with it a little while and see if it grows on you though. To me now the original AE site looks tiny.

Talking about graphics taking up the entire window; scale your window and see how it behaves. What you should be seeing is in a larger window, a two-column view that maxes out at about 800 wide for the content, and 250 for the “ad” column. As you scale the window smaller, it should all shrink down until a tipping point where it switches to single column view, and the ads drop underneath (more on that in a moment).

Once in single column, things rearrange and if you're on the top of tips for example, you'll see the top story change order where the graphic jumps to the top instead of to the left. That's supposed to work that way. That graphic may not be any bigger than a small screenshot, but in the case of the Nikon photo, is sized to scale to the biggest possible view, which is 768*2=1536 pixels. So yes this can lead to larger images, but this is the reality of retina displays and wanting high quality images on page.

We will continue to look at better ways to optimize graphics for varying sized screens.

The ads on desktop will drop under the main window and stay at the same relative size, in a three column ad view. On the iPad in portrait that's supposed to happen too but currently is showing a single column. That's a known bug.

Thanks for the honest feedback!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?