You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
EXIF Lens field on export #1
Trevor Ager's picture
by Trevor Ager
June 20, 2010 - 12:31am

I am using Aperture 3 and Nikons D300 & D700 bodies.
When I import my NEF files into Aperure I can see the Lens used in the Exif data.
I recently noticed when checking the exif data on files I have uploaded to Flickr that the Lens is not included in the Exif data.
I tried a few things on the Mac.
If I select a file in Aperture and then ‘Edit with Adobe Photoshop’ then look at the file info in Photoshop the Lens field is empty.
If I open the NEF file directly in Photoshop then the data for the lens is inserted in the Lens field.
If I Export a file from Aperture to Jpeg then check the Exif data of the Jpeg, again the Lens field is not included.
It seems that Aperture is dropping the Lens field from the Exif data once the file is exported from Aperture.
Am I missing a setting somewhere? or is this a bug in Aperture 3?
Any guidance would be thankfully accepted.

Trevor.

Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
July 9, 2010 - 2:37am

Hi Trevor. Thank you very much for noticing the bug.
I’ve done a few tests and written a blog post about what I found. You can read it here: http://geekyphoto.squarespace.com/blog/2010/7/8/a-bug-in-aperture-3.html

The short version is that it’s not just the Lens Name that disappears. These EXIF tags are also lost on export:
- Camera Serial No.
- Flash Exposure Compensation
- Focus Mode

Can someone please confirm this?

Trevor Ager's picture
by Trevor Ager
July 9, 2010 - 5:20am

Thanks for taking an interest Morten.
Joseph has said that he will report this to Apple so maybe we will see a fix one day either in an update or later version of Aperture.
As you corrrectly say in your blog, the data is not lost as it is there in Aperture with the original file, it is just lost in any exported image (which includes editing using an external editor such as Photoshop).
I do quite a lot of Flickr watching and often try to learn from other people’s Exif data. I assume that others may want to see all my Exif data when I post images on Flickr. Unfortunately they will not get the lens used, only the focal length.
Here is my Flickr link should anyone like to take a look and check out my Exif data:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevager/

Trevor Ager's picture
by Trevor Ager
June 28, 2010 - 2:31am

No reply yet.
Does anyone else find that Lens data is missing from Exif data in exported files or is it just me?

Thanks.

Trevor.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 28, 2010 - 3:07am

Trevor,

Sorry, on vacation right now. But yes that does sound like a bug. I’ll report it to Apple.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Trevor Ager's picture
by Trevor Ager
June 28, 2010 - 3:14am

Thanks Joseph.

Enjoy your vacation right now and don’t even think about Aperture.
Just let me know if you have this too AFTER your vacation.

Will probably get your new ‘File Management’ eBook too. Think I may need it!

Thanks,

Trevor

Glenn Fowler's picture
by Glenn Fowler
July 1, 2010 - 7:50pm

I’m losing the lens information on export as well (so it’s not just you); this is happening with photos taken with a Pentax *ist DS (both PEF (raw) and JPG), as well as Pentax K-7 (both DNG and JPG)

Trevor Ager's picture
by Trevor Ager
July 2, 2010 - 10:21pm

At least I know I am not alone with this problem in the Exif data. It looks like it may indeed be a bug (or oversight) in Aperture.
I have looked back at some of my older images exported from version 2 and these do not show the Lens in the Exif either. It shows the Focal length that was used but not the lens.
I hope this gets rectified. If the exif data shows Focal Length of 50mm I cant tell whether it was taken using my 50mm or 24-70mm lens.
I know I can look at the Exif on the RAW file but does not help with images uploaded to Flickr or elswhere.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?