7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Export to a HTML page #1
subsea's picture
by subsea
April 24, 2010 - 3:44pm

Hey
does anyone know if there is an plugin
that allows one to export to web page with password protection !!
i upload my photos on the danish version of a smug mug : www.bestilditfoto.dk
Henrik

d kenner's picture
by d kenner
July 11, 2010 - 3:03am

A supplemental question.

I currently export from Aperture into a directory where I can use j-album to genertae web pages for my server (I have a static IP, apache, et al). The export options in Aperture are rather sparse. Is there a plug-in available that gives more options? I saw one on the Apple Aperture website, but no others.

Thank you,

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 13, 2010 - 6:28am

d kenner,

Do you mean the export sizes? You can completely customize those in Aperture and build as many presets as you need. If you mean export as in export directly to 3rd party services, to FTP, etc., then check out this site on apple.com which lists most (if not all) of the commercially available plug-ins for export.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/plugins.html#export

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

d kenner's picture
by d kenner
July 13, 2010 - 11:23pm

Not export sizes, but a plug-in that would allow more customisable web galleries to be exported from Aperture directly for upload to a web server. Jumsoft is a beginning for what I was hoping existed. In the interim, J-Album is quite useful in terms of options available for building web galleries in a mindless fashion, or customising your own suite of pages, but is an external application.

When I have played with Apertures export options, I have not found them that customisable (I am probably missing something somewhere), and thus export jpegs into an empty directory for post processing with a third party application. I was hoping to avoid this step. I thought I had found one during Aperture 2, but have lost the reference to it.

PS, Password protection of a page is more complicated than just some HTML code and is easier done at the server software level, especially since it tends to be directory nd not page oriented..

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 14, 2010 - 5:37am

d kenner,

Perhaps what you found before is Aperture’s built-in Web Journal or Web Page galleries. You can export those web pages as HTML, and upload them wherever you like.

They are quite basic and haven’t been updated much since Aperture 1.0. There are so many great options for sharing images on the web that most people don’t want to generate their own websites anymore from scratch (at least that’s my opinion on it!).

I have seen some plug-ins that generate pretty advanced slide-shows for export, but then again Aperture does amazing slideshows itself now that can be exported as a movie.

If you like the direction Jumsoft is heading, then that’s probably your best option at this point.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

d kenner's picture
by d kenner
July 14, 2010 - 6:13am

Perhaps what you found before is Aperture’s built-in Web Journal or Web Page galleries. You can export those web pages as HTML, and upload them wherever you like. They are quite basic and haven’t been updated much since Aperture 1.0. There are so many great options for sharing images on the web that most people don’t want to generate their own websites anymore from scratch (at least that’s my opinion on it!).

Oh, I realise that these export options have not been visited by anyone in a very long time, but I was hoping that there may have been something that I missed. As photography is a hobby and not a career, and I have some ability in running UNIX-based servers and websites for over a decade (in the dining room actually, though Apple’s MacMini server has made domestic bliss much more achievable), I have managed my own site and software. While I release that there are many hosted options available, I would rather have a bit more control over my hobby at this time. You are probably right in your observation as I have noted other hobbyist-friends using Flicker et al.

I have seen some plug-ins that generate pretty advanced slide-shows for export, but then again Aperture does amazing slideshows itself now that can be exported as a movie. If you like the direction Jumsoft is heading, then that’s probably your best option at this point.

Again, you are correct, especially with Aperture’s in-built abilities, but in terms of export, while Jumsoft is an interesting plug-in, it is not what I am looking for. I had been hoping that you might know of something. In the meantime, I’ll stick with my quaint way of doing things and continue to learn more about Aperture.

Thank you again, you have a very helpful site. I am still wading through your fifteen tips, and may have future questions.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 8, 2010 - 1:28am

Henrik,

Many of the services like MobileMe, Facebook and Flickr offer password or otherwise restricted access to your photos. Smugmug is great, and what I use myself. You can’t export a raw HTML page with password protection on it, however. I’m not an engineer but I’d guess that this level of protection goes beyond what wold go on a single HTML page and would require back-end server-side services to run, therefore it’s not as simple as “adding a password”.

Cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?