You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Export Places from Aperture #1
Kristen Symonds's picture
by Kristen Symonds
October 10, 2010 - 7:54am

I was just wondering if it's possible to export Places data from Aperture in any way. From what I've read and experienced, I can't find a way to do it.

I was using my laptop to edit photos while travelling, and I exported the project to import to my main computer, but it didn't include any of the Places information I had specified. As a side note, apparently my laptop was using an old RAW processor and my main computer wanted to reprocess every image, so I ended up giving up on that import and starting the project again so I could import with all my automatic stuff, but now I'm back to adding Places and I'd really like to not have to do it all again manually.

From what I've read on forums and blog posts, exporting masters doesn't write the location data to the RAW files (but it can put other metadata on there), and I can't find any way to export a .gpx or something similar from Aperture.

Is the location data really locked into Aperture (apart from export in versions)?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 12, 2010 - 6:36pm

Kristen,

You actually can export the Places Metadata as GPS coordinates—but we’ll come back to that.

I’m not quite sure how you were able to apply Places on one computer but the images were processed with an old RAW processor if you were importing the images while traveling, and if you were adding Places info then you certainly were using Aperture 3. Have you figured out yet why there was a difference there? If you haven’t, please open up Aperture on the laptop, select an image that you know you a) added Places info and b) transferred to your other system and it gave you the old RAW error—and see if you have the ability to apply any Brushes to it. Those Adjustments require the new processing engine, so that will tell you if they are on the new or old engine. Also you can look at the menu Photos > Reprocess Masters and click through to have it reprocess that image, and at the end it will tell you if it needed it or not. I’m having a hard time imagining a scenario where this is possible though.

Are both laptop and desktop fully up-to-date, for both the OS and for Aperture?

As far as transferring Places info, that data certainly goes along with the project when you export and import it. If you select a project, and either drag it to the desktop, or choose File > Export > Project as New Library…, it absolutely works. I do this all the time, and I always use Places.

As far as exporting GPS data, you can do that, too. Once images are tagged in Places, as you’ve inferred, wen you export a version, the Places info gets converted to GPS coordinates and added to the file’s Metadata. However in Aperture, you can choose to export just the Metadata as well. Select your file(s), and go to menu File > Export > Metadata. This will generate a text file that has all the Metadata in it (i.e. copyright, contact info, and yes, Latitude and Longitude). (Oddly though, at least on my system, it exported the GPS data under the wrong headers. Latitude was under Label, and Longitude was under Latitude. Easy enough to fix in a spreadsheet application like Numbers or Excel. I’ll notify Apple of this issue.)

Let me know what you find between your two systems, as that truly confuses me.

Otherwise, I hope I’ve answered your questions!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness