You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Export Project exports Trash!!!! #1
Inspirator's picture
by Inspirator
July 26, 2012 - 3:11pm

[on Ap 3.2.4]

I had some NSFW photos that I put into the Ap Trash. I then Exported a Project as New Library for a client (who used my laptop to do some edits). Said client then looked in the Trash of the exported library, and everything in my trash, including the NSFW photos, was there!

!!!!!!!! (I nearly lost that client …)

Can anyone verify this?

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
July 26, 2012 - 10:29pm

It seems to be that you need to empty the trash or it moves with your export

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 27, 2012 - 2:55am

Yowzers. Agreed that it makes perfect sense however. Personally I always verify my exported projects, and it’s good to look at the trash as well.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Inspirator's picture
by Inspirator
July 27, 2012 - 3:12pm

After sleeping on it and reading Tim’s response, Tim is on the correct path, but trips slightly: the exported project was not the one that contained the NSFW photos.

As such, since the trashed photos retain the “put back” knowledge of the project from which they came, it would be expected that only the trashed photos from the exported project would be included. However, all trashed photos are included, regardless of source project. To me this, at minimum, is a bug.

I also checked to see if the presence or absence of the source lib (on an external disk) made a difference in a similar way where editing an exported-to-laptop-previews-only photo is only possible if the external drive is still connected, but that made no difference.

[A similar ‘gotcha’: Use caution when running the OS X screensaver. If one picks something generic like “Photos” or “Projects”, and the last time you quit Ap sharing previews was “Never”, after a long-pause, it may start showing a random mix of thumbs and previews from multiple libs. I’ve unsuccessfully tried to delete every possible source for the screensaver, but many are stored somewhere using “ow357ybvw0eby” filenames and/or hidden files. Only select uniquely-named sources, as “Photos” gets most anything ever displayed with that choice from a hidden place that now contains an amalgam of stuff (including pixelated thumbs) that should never be displayed.]

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
July 27, 2012 - 9:30pm

I just checked this, and I am not seeing what you are seeing. I currently have dozens of photos in the trash, but when I export a project as library, the only trashed item that is exported is the single photo that was originally in the project I exported.

That’s not to say that I don’t believe you - there may be some other factor coming into play here that we haven’t thought of. Which version of Aperture are you on? I’m on 3.3.2.

Can anyone else test this and let us know if you’re seeing what I am seeing or what Inspirator is seeing?

Thanks!

Tim

Scott Davenport's picture
by Scott Davenport
July 28, 2012 - 12:11am

I’m seeing the same as Tim. Only those photos associated with the project were picked up from the Trash when I exported a project as a library. Also on Ap 3.3.2.

Inspirator's picture
by Inspirator
July 29, 2012 - 7:39pm

The very first line of my opening post: [on Ap 3.2.4].

I have 2 exhibitions next week and, even though I have had Lion waiting to be installed for some time, I never upgrade unless there are no critical deadlines for at least 2 weeks+ (including testing on a separate partition with small libs before upgrading the big one). I also wait until the final update of an OS X version comes out unless a feature is critical.

So, it appears that this may have been fixed, but it’s not even slightly critical. After I upgrade, I’ll verify and let you know.

Thanks to all.

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
July 26, 2012 - 10:57pm

When you trash photos, they are still associated with the project they were in - that’s how you can “Put them back” and it knows where they go. What happens under the hood is that they’re probably just marked as being in the trash, but really still where they were. When you export a project to a new library, it exports everything in that project, including any non-emptied trash.

While this makes sense to me as a software engineer, I completely understand how this could cause problems such as yours, and I think it’s something we all need to be aware of!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness