You are here

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Exposure Adjustment Issue #1
Lightscap3s.com's picture
by Lightscap3s.com
June 29, 2012 - 9:34pm

Ok, I've tried everything besides a reinstall of the application. Since the 3.3 upgrade I've been having so much trouble with the exposure adjustment slider and button (mostly the button). Sometimes I get the rainbow wheel and locks up, while other times Aperture just locks. Yes, there are times when all works well. I just want to put an end to this headache. Like I said, I've done everything listed on this website and Apples and still no fix. The only thing left is to uninstall the app and reinstall it.

Question: since I'm not clear on what exactly is removed if I delete the app so what can I do to make sure I keep all of my settings, keywords, places and other related information? Yes, I'm running current versions of everything including last nights Aperture update.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
June 29, 2012 - 11:06pm

All of your preferences and presets are stored in /Users/<your user name>/Library or in the Aperture libraries. If you drag-n-drop /Applications/Aperture to the Trash they will not be removed. You can safely re-install Aperture without affect them. Alternatively you can rename the Aperture application and the Mac App Store will let you install the application again.

by Lightscap3s.com
June 30, 2012 - 12:03am

Walter ~ thanks for the feedback

Well, reinstalling the application didn’t fix this new problem. It appears that now the slider works fine more often than not, but the auto button worked once on a RAW image and didn’t work on a second RAW image ~ the spinning rainbow wheel no response lock up. I’ll just stick with using the slider, but I kinda always wanted to see what Aperture would set it to.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
June 30, 2012 - 4:06am

How much memory is in your system? How new is it? What else is running on your system when you are editing images? They all can affect Aperture’s performance. I used to have performance issues on my laptop and my iMac. Both had 4GB of RAM in them. When I put a total of 8GB in the laptop and 16GB in the iMac, performance in both improved in very dramatic fashion.

by Lightscap3s.com
June 30, 2012 - 4:33am

late 2010 2.66 Ghz Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ 8GB of RAM ~ there are no memory eating apps open when Aperture is open. I also have PS Elements 10 and Efex Color Pro 4 ~ this issue just started less than a couple of weeks ago. Before then I was normally moving around and through apps like any decent Macbook Pro would

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 30, 2012 - 5:03am

Seshat
I think you might need to repair permissions repair lib and rebuild the lib. These thing are found if starting Aperture by holding the command and option key. But first Id do the 3.3.1 upgrade. Its suppose to be better for repairing rebuilding the lib. than 3.3 is.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

by Lightscap3s.com
June 30, 2012 - 5:29am

I haven’t done any of what you mentioned with the new 3.3 update that came out last night, but like I mentioned before ~ I’ve done all of that stuff ~ some of it I did a couple of times. Thanks for the heads up

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 30, 2012 - 5:49am

Well You might try disk utilities to repair disk. Also a Safety Start of the Mac system then shut it down and Try Fsck See FAQ for details and keep us informed. Also the 3.3.1 is suppose to be better. Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

by Lightscap3s.com
June 30, 2012 - 11:13am

I just completed a Safety Start, 3.3.1 permissions repair and rebuild. Still no improvement with this issue. I can use the auto button once and then move on to a different image and the spinning rainbow appears which means force quite.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 30, 2012 - 9:17pm

SesHat,

It’s time to isolate the issue.

Create a new library and test there to see if the issue is Library specific. If it’s gone, you know it’s something in the Library. If it’s not, then create a new user and a new library in there, and test again. If that still doesn’t solve it, try on another system if you can.

We’ll take it from there.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Lightscap3s.com
July 1, 2012 - 1:00am

So iCreated a new library and imported 2 jpeg images, and was able to use the auto button several times on each image after moving the slider around a bit from where the auto button changed it to.

I went back to my main library and tried once again on the same project folder and images, and all seems well for now. However, over the past couple of days I’ve done quite a bit and I’m not real sure what may have solved this problem.

During all of this trouble shooting and research I’ve learned that I do have a video problem. Apparently it’s been with my model range since Lion was released, but I didn’t think much about some of the flickering I was noticing after I installed Lion on it’s release date. Anyhow, after I completed the Safety Start things really went bad and the black screen starting happening every 20 minutes or so. At this point I was troubleshooting for this issue and it looks like it fixed my Aperture issue.

I’m taking my Macbook Pro to the genius bar tonight and get this free hardware fix before the two year window closes ~ here’s link to the documented issue

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 1, 2012 - 1:31am

SesHat
The Safty Start is only to open Lion and to make sure it can open. I clears out some files which helps. So just open and imediantly close it. It prevents some graphics to even work properly by not starting all the XXXXXXX, preferences? It does do some good, but not while its opened in that mode. If your screen still goes bad after a new plain re-Boot then you might have an graphics issue.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 2, 2012 - 4:44am

Let us know how the genius bar visit goes! That’s really the best way to see if you’ve got a hardware problem since they’ve got access to the best testing software.

But yes, I agree with DBMoore. Safe Boot should be used for doing much more work than just troubleshooting. You’re lucky if you can even open Aperture in Safe Boot…. (I can’t on my 13” MBP because of the certain graphics drivers which are disables).

by Lightscap3s.com
July 2, 2012 - 4:54am

I will pass along genius bar info. Yeah, I was fully aware of the limitations of a Safety Start, but it’s also my understanding that allowing one to take place allows the OS to do somewhat of an OS error self check as it reaches the login screen.

Thanking All

by Lightscap3s.com
July 8, 2012 - 8:24am

Update:

I’m back in Macbook Pro business with a free new motherboard ~ all is well

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 8, 2012 - 9:35am

wow!!

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness