You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
External Editor File Format #1
Lightscap3s.com's picture
by Lightscap3s.com
June 14, 2012 - 1:14am

I sometimes use Photoshop Elements 10 as an external editor, and Aperture is setup to use the external file format PSD (16 Bit) 300 dpi with this particular external editor. I picked this format because my thoughts are to use a format with the most image data. However, while editing an image in Elements I’ve experienced a window notification popup telling me that the file will be converted to 8 Bit, because it can’t be done using a 16 Bit file (something along those lines). So is the simple answer is to simply change how Apertures external editor file format in preferences, or do I have a different problem? What am I missing here?

Thanking all in advance

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 14, 2012 - 1:52am

Hi The argument of whether 16 bit verse 8 bit has quite a history. I use 16bit and I don’t have to think about it. If you got PS it wouldn’t have to change the preference, Ha. Is Elements 10 the most current? If it is then change the preference for the editor just try to make most of your big moves in Aperture where it is 16 bit. Minor moves and layering is fine in 8bit. my two cents or bits.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 14, 2012 - 3:42am

SesHat,

Change your settings in Aperture to only send an 8-bit file. Aperture generates whatever file type you set in preferences (8 or 16 bit, PSD or TIF), and sends that to whatever editor your choose. There’s no communication of file compatibility between apps, so if you were to for example choose PSD and send to an app that can’t read PSD, or in your case are sending a 16 bit file to an app that can only handle 8 bits, then you’ll run into issues.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness