You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Extracting Meta Data #1
David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
January 30, 2012 - 1:45am

Ive never needed this before but I have a client who wants the Raw files. Id like to send the xmp sidecar file so when they open it in Adobe Camera Raw, ACR, they will see the moves I considered making. Hate for them to see the over and under exposures right at their first glimpse. Will the xmp file match up to ACR xmp format.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
January 30, 2012 - 7:30am

Hi David,

When you export from Aperture you have the option to include Metadata (Create IPTC4XMP Sidecar File) if that is what you are looking to do.

Now with that said I am no legal expert here, but if you give someone the original Raw File I am assuming you are now giving up all rights to that image. Maybe Joseph has an opinion on providing a client with the original Raw File. Personally I would never do that.

Best,

Stu

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
January 30, 2012 - 8:21am

Thanks Stu for your reply. That side car file did not have an effect in ACR. I had both the raw and the IPTC4XMP sidecar in a folder …. opened the CR2 file in ACR but all ACR settings were at default even thou I know I made changes before exporting from AP3.

My solution today is to give the raw and a folder of jpegs that will have the changes I made. Im sure they will look at the jpegs first.

As for copyright … This is the first time Im selling the copyright. I have mixed emotions, but did get extra for extra value.

Thanks David

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 1, 2012 - 3:40am

David (and Stuart),

You’ve already discovered this, but the image adjustments made in Aperture have no way of translating over to Photoshop. The XMP file will only include the metadata. You can also embed the metadata in the RAW file (it’s the only change you are able to make to a RAW file) which I would advise you do here.

I’m no fan of selling copyright but there’s a time and a place for everything. As long as you feel you’re getting a fair shake, then you gotta do what you gotta do!

I would probably include full-resolution high-qualty JPGs or even TIF files along with it in the hopes that they used my corrected, retouched version, but of course once you release the copyright, you have no claim to what they do to the photos, so in a sense, you probably shouldn’t care about it (or try not to!) ;-)

If they really want to be able to pick up where you left off, either give them 16-bit TIF files, which will be as close to an “adjusted RAW” as you can possibly deliver, OR send them an Aperture project. If they are that keen to continue with your work, they can spend the $79 to buy Aperture.

PS — be sure to tell them to come here to learn the software hehe

cheers,

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?