You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
File > Consolidate Masters… - what next #1
Tonemapper's picture
by Tonemapper
September 17, 2010 - 12:52am

Hi,

You very helpfully suggested that in order to get my library back to a working state after I had lost masters after migrating to a new hard drive that a boot up off the old drive and File > Consolidate Masters… - then copy this to the new drive.
(http://www.apertureexpert.com/forum-user/post/1227974)

So after I've done that, what next? What should I do in Aperture for it to use the new consolidated library and what about my existing images / Projects / albums etc?…

Thanks in advance

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 18, 2010 - 7:24am

Daniel,

All you need to do to run off that “new” library is to double-click it. It will open in Aperture and all of your existing projects should be intact!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Tonemapper's picture
by Tonemapper
September 20, 2010 - 6:22am

Thank you.

I guess the real question is, what do I do about all those images and folders scattered about my /library/pictures folder, just delete them?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2010 - 5:46am

Daniel,

Scattered about? Is that due to your importing of images from various places and always just leaving them where they were? Before deleting anything of course you’ll want to verify that they are in fact in the library.

What I would do is copy all those images to another hard drive, and disconnect that and be sure that you’re not in fact missing any master files. You could even burn them to DVD(s) for long-term “just-in-case” if you’re short on HD space.

“Delete” is a scary word, and I want to be really, really sure I have what I need before I do. I learned that lesson the hard way once, and lost some great photos of the president at a rally in San Francisco a year before he was elected. Believe me, I was pissed when I realized what I’d done! I was moving photos around, and somehow thought I’d moved those when I hadn’t. I didn’t realize my mistake until months later, far too late to recover with any recovery software.

I still hold hope that I’ll find an old CF card laying around one day with the originals on them :(

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?