You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
File management in Photos eco-system #1
Phil C's picture
by Phil C
September 19, 2014 - 5:36am

Hi there, I am trying to understand how file management will operate in the new Photos App eco-system.  The limited reading I have come across indicates that storage is only cloud based. 

I use currently Aperture as my repository for photos, so want to understand what the options are with Photos App.  I would appreciate if anyone can point me to some details regarding this.

Cheers

Phil

PhilC

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
September 19, 2014 - 5:06pm

Cloud storage will be an option but the way I understand the preliminary info that has been out there is that we will still be able to use any hardware storage we have be it on our computer or with external hard drive(s).  Apple will have some free cloud storage and the option to by additional storage.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Phil C's picture
by Phil C
September 22, 2014 - 3:12am

Thanks for the info Florian, appreciate it.

Cheers

PhilC

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
September 28, 2014 - 1:17pm

I think it was pretty clear that local storage would still be your primary storage, but cloud storage for a fee would offer what ever images you put there to be accessible on all your devices.

Phil C's picture
by Phil C
September 29, 2014 - 7:41am

Hi Walter, can you please point me to the info that discusses this? 

Cheers

PhilC

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 1, 2014 - 5:46am

What we don’t know is if you have more photos on your Mac than will fit in the iCloud Drive space you pay for, how do you control what goes in iCloud Drive vs. what is only on your Mac. Still lots of details that need to be revealed by 2015.

Thomas

Seamus's picture
by Seamus
October 18, 2014 - 2:27pm

…and will “Photos” be the Apple user’s hub of digital asset management seamlessly integrated into the Apple eco system? 

I want to manage still images and video files from a single application so my hope or expectation is despite its name, ”Photos” will embrace and accommodate this to a greater extent than Aperture. As far as I am concerned it’s all “digital asset management” and we are well beyond just managing still images.

When it comes to managing and post processing video files, it would be useful to have a similar level of access to file management and basic post processing features currently available for still images. 

Several 60fps AVCHD video files captured on a Sony RX100 and imported into Aperture remain inaccessible. These files were previously imported into Lightroom and sorted next to the still images without issue.

These AVCHD clips appear to remain intact but not readable in Aperture so I can’t use them. I may have to move them to Lightroom (if they are not already there from the period I was testing Lightroom) and export them from Lightroom in a format Aperture can use or maybe send the files rom Aperture to Final Cut X and export them back to Aperture? The workarounds are a hassle and not necessary in Lightroom. The Apple user experience is supposed to be more streamlined and seamless. In Lightroom, I can manage these video clips pretty much as I manage photos when it comes to ranking, sorting, labelling, renaming etc.

My understanding is Aperture can’t see the content of Sony “wrapper” or AVCHD file and folder structure when not imported directly from the camera… I think. I forget the details, but apparently some 60fps files are not accessible via Aperture.

At some point, I really do need to rank - in Aperture or Photos - these video clips and sort them in date/time sequence along with all the still images. I also want to extract highlights from each video clip and assemble them - along with the still images - in an Album that may later become a slide show or shared on iCloud.

I am tempted to switch back to Lightroom for a more seamless experience within that application but as there appears to be limited - if any - integration with the Apple Eco System - and I have not been using the camera was often as I should - there has been no urgency on my part.

I just hope “Photos” goes beyond my expectations and is a truly “Apple” experience. 

Thank you.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness