You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fully delete photos from all areas of computer?? #1
Vivienne Orgel's picture
by Vivienne Orgel
November 13, 2011 - 4:42am

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and to Aperture…question about fully deleting reject photos… alas I misunderstood and just tried consolidating masters , after reading a thread from another Vivian/Vivienne! - I want everything as managed not referenced for now, and thought it was set up that way, but it seems like I've got a mix of stuff all over the place….so I followed a previous instruction and did the “consolidate all masters” and it brought back all my rejected photos, which I'd thought were fully deleted from everywhere on the computer, having run through them when I first imported from IPhoto a couple of months ago….and now I'll have to do it again, but please tell me the way to remove new rejects from every spot on my IMac, this time around, so I won't reintroduce them, and same for the duplicates??….

The photos seem to all be in Aperture 3, except 6 on my desktop which showed up in a separate list and I don't know how to get them moved or maybe I'd just delete them….

And it is saying there were 11,982 photos in “All Volumes” and “Macintosh HD” with names such as users/myname/pictures/juliapfeiffer/# so now I think they're still somewhere extra and not in great order (as I have the old files from IPhoto plus the new ones from downloading to Aperture….) but at least they're in projects and I've done some key wording and plan to do rating on another run-through…..Is this meaning I still have more than I need of copies - i.e. I want the masters in Aperture 3 program and I suppose there'd be one other place they'd be, under Pictures on my Mac…but this seemed like I had three copies, plus all my duds were still in there although I'd emptied trashes weeks ago…

I really would like a coach/class in Santa Cruz, CA, a student or aficionado who wouldn't charge too much? :) …I didn't make it to Applestore during my first 3 months for a mini-class in SF, so I have some online manual materials but I'm not good with techie stuff and want to get set up to do some organization, understand where files are and get appropriate backup going on on external drive/s (I have a copy of everything now, but not organized) , modification of some photos, and prep for printing etc….

So looking under Pictures on my computer it has the following: My Aperture Library has 79.57 GB on Sept. 3, 2011 was added…then there are lots of jpegs and they are double-listed….I'd carefully got rid of duplicates before but I guess they're back with a vengeance…so I have P1140724-VO-2011.jpg and P1140724-VO-2011.(1) jpg on some recent jpeg photos from my Lumix camera, and oodles of Jpegs listed individually and then CR2 files mixed in on the list from using my new Canon w Raw files…and then mixed in are a bunch of labeled files or full projects from my IPhoto days ….
The photos often say Locked, what does that mean? I actually tossed my whole IPhoto application, which may have been overdoing it…

Thanks for any help I can get… aviva aka Vivienne

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 18, 2011 - 9:19pm

Vivienne,

Apologies for the delay. I’ve been traveling and was hoping someone else might chime in on this one :)

Your requests are varied, so I’m going to try to simplify the problem/solution and see if we can get you up and running cleanly.

The easiest way to ensure that you a) have all of your photos in a known location and b) don’t have any extra photos that you don’t need is to Consolidate masters, as you did, so that you’re running Managed. You can always go back to Referenced later if you need to, however if your library isn’t bigger than the hard drive it’s stored on, you may as well stay managed and make life a bit easier.

Once you’ve consolidated and gone managed, there’s only two steps to a happy library. These may be easy and take just minutes, or could take ages if things are a big mess.

#1 — Verify that every photo in your Aperture Library is in fact now Managed, and that you have every photo in your Library that you expect to be there.

#2 — Delete every photo floating around the hard drive because they are no longer needed. This is, of course, assuming that #1 is complete!!

Aperture makes it really easy to find out if photos are managed or referenced. (You can read up on what all the different badges in Aperture mean by reading this article: Badges. Or, “What Are All Those Funny Icons, Anyway?”). You can easily search the entire library and see if you have any photos that are still Referenced, which will probably be offline, assuming that you Consolidated your whole library. The offline images would be ones that Aperture couldn’t find when you Consolidated. If there are any like this, you’ll need to manually locate them on the drive, reconnect them, and then consolidate those so they’re managed along with the rest.

To find any errant non-managed files, select the Library view, open the Search window, add the criteria (“rule”) File Status, and set that to Referenced [screenshot]. If there are zero results, congratulations, all photos are managed! If there’s anything in there, chances are they are offline or missing and will need to be located. You can use the Locate Referenced Files command to reconnect any missing ones.

Once all is good there, you’ll need to go through the images that are still floating around on your drive and verify that there is in fact a copy in Aperture. As you verify their existence in Aperture as managed files, you can safely delete the ones on the hard drive. Any managed file is protected inside the Aperture Library package, and therefore and files you find on the hard drive are not being used by Aperture.

Of course if you find any that aren’t imported to Aperture, you’ll need to import them as Managed.

Also, when it comes to deleting photos in Aperture itself, be sure to read this post “Deleting Photos in Aperture 3 (First, Second, Third Time’s the Charm)” to fully understand the file deletion process in Aperture.

Finally, I heartily recommend the training resources we have on here. The ebooks “In-Depth Getting Started with Aperture 3” and “ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3” as well as the video “Work Like a Pro Photographer in Aperture 3—Learn by Video” are great options to start with.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness