You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Getting Reference photos back to internal drive from external drive #1
Steve Hart's picture
by Steve Hart
November 5, 2012 - 11:12am

May have made a mistake. After reading (perhaps too quickly) the e-books (which I completely recommend!!!), I decided to merge my internal library with my external library to clean up my internal drive (which was way too full). I did this with intent of then having the master file on the external drive, with the less memory hogging “reference” files on my internal drive. My current situation is that I have 25K images in one library on my external drive. I have a new library on my internal drive that is empty. How do I get these references back into my internal drive? Feeling stupid…I can find lots of instructions on how to do this properly from the start, but none that explains what to do once you have all the masters already on the external drive.

Thanks!!!!

sh

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 5, 2012 - 11:33am

Steve,

I feel that you’re not using the term “referenced” correctly in this discussion, which leads to confusion. Just to be sure…

Referenced means that the Original images (the RAW/JPEG files that came off the camera) live outside of the Aperture Library. They can live anywhere you like — same drive (kinda pointless), external drive (most comment), NAS drive (OK if you have a good reason) or DVD (archival only).

So, typically you would have a single very large Library on your internal drive that has Referenced Originals living in some other location.

That said… where are you now? You said you merged a library on the internal with one on the external, and it sounds like you’re saying the new combo-Library is on the external drive, right? And the Originals are all referenced, right? And where are they — also on the external drive? If so, then all you need to do is copy the newly-combined Library from the external to the internal, and you’re done. But maybe there’s more to it than that…

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Steve Hart's picture
by Steve Hart
November 5, 2012 - 11:52am

Joseph - thanks much for the quick response. Blood pressure starting to lower…and you are right I was misusing the term “referenced”. Still not sure what you call the small version of the big master file…confused.

The new library is on the external drive. Called External HD Aperature Library. The originals are not referenced…I have confirmed this with a right click on random photos and selecting “locate referenced files” which then results in a “no referenced files” response. As an aside, the new library on the external drive, is now too large for my internal drive (160ish GB).

So I am hopeful that there is a way where I can still get these the smaller copy of the original on my internal drive (what do I call these?). Thanks again.

Steve

sh

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness