You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, Let me introduce myself. #1
Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 28, 2012 - 10:08am

Hello, Let me introduce myself.

I'm Butch Miller. I have been a full time professional photographer for 36 years. For 24 years of that span I was a staff photojournalist, chief photographer and photo editor at a medium sized daily paper. Nine tears ago, after seeing the writing on the wall for print news, I opened my own studio where I specialize in portrait, wedding and commercial work. In addition I cover local high school and college sports for several publications on a freelance basis and offer the images for sale to the athletes and their families.

I'm here at ApertureExpert.com because I want to learn much more about Aperture 3 because I am strongly considering moving my entire workflow from Lr 3. I am very upset and disappointed with how Adobe is treating the app, aside from the Develop module. Lr was conceived, designed and marketed to be a “workflow solution” … it is not.

The new Books module is a complete joke. What professional wedding photographer is going to downgrade their wedding albums to Blurb books that any consumer can order themselves? The Slideshow module is a complete joke … in fact I have an iPad app i paid $0.99 for that blows it out of the water … Creating compelling slideshows is the main reason I purchased Aperture 3 (and the fact it was only $80 in the app store helped) …

So, consider me a sponge. I'm here to learn as much as I can … :-)

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 30, 2012 - 2:17am

Thanks for the mailing list link Joseph …

Doug … yeah I was so excited about Lr at one point. I was expecting so much more in the way of workflow enhancement. I really don’t blame software developers for lagging behind and not reverse engineering RAW file compatibility … I place that blame entirely on the camera makers. They are the ones creating the constant moving target of RAW file structure. Why Nikon thinks that the data in a NEF file from a D3 has to be written in nearly a complete different manner as the image data for a D4 is beyond me … Granted they use different sensors and different firmware to capture data from the photo sites … but that doesn’t mean they have to record the ones and zeroes that make up an image in a different file structure for each camera … if we could only convince them to at least allow users the option to record DNG in-camera this whole issue would be moot. We would never have to wait for developers to reverse engineer the hooks for that data …

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 30, 2012 - 2:45am

Butch,

Agreed… it’s ridiculous. I have spoken with friends at Canon about this and asked point-blank why they make it so hard for the software companies to support their cameras, and their response was basically that they want the consumer to use their (Canon’s) software, not that from Apple or Adobe. This is so unbelievably short sighted, since not only are they absolute crap at designing software, but they don’t even sell it—they give its way with the cameras. It’s utterly pointless, but that’s their way of seeing things.

One day, as Ron Brinkman on TWiP keeps begging for, a manufacturer will build a camera that is a body, lens, and sensor, and let consumers use their iPhone or similar device as the brains, and open source the software.

One can hope.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
March 30, 2012 - 5:44am

Butch,
I’ve always liked you sense of reason @ Maccreate and SS.
I’ve been an Aperture Trainer since 2007 and welcome you to the Aperture platform.
John Waugh

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 30, 2012 - 5:57am

Joseph - I wish camera makers would do what they do best … make great cameras and lenses … and let software developers do what they do best … make great software solutions … I totally agree that as good as their hardware is neither Nikon or Canon have a clue when it comes to a reasonable post processing workflow … I would love to get their development team in a press room after a game and watch THEM make a deadline using their proprietary software … we’d see better solutions rather quickly after that experience …

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 30, 2012 - 5:59am

John - Thank you … You sound like the guy to call when there is trouble. Got a personal phone number I can call when I hit a snag ;-) (kidding of course)

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
March 28, 2012 - 10:13am

Welcome Butch. Based on your previous post, I got the feeling we could learn a thing or two from you as well.

Tom

Thomas

Thomas Boyd's picture
by Thomas Boyd
March 28, 2012 - 10:36am

Yes, welcome Butch. I know you from Sportsshooter where you are often the voice of reason and experience.

Thomas Boyd

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 28, 2012 - 10:54am

Tom … Thanks … I have always thought learning is a two-way street …

Thomas Boyd … Hey there! (I kinda miss Macreate) … just keep in mind something my grandfather taught me … Experience is wonderful, but never confuse it with wisdom … they are quite different animals … :-) ….

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 29, 2012 - 1:21am

Butch,

Welcome to the site. We’ll certainly do our best to saturate that sponge for you!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Doug Weber's picture
by Doug Weber
March 30, 2012 - 12:08am

Hi Butch, welcome! I too am looking at migrating from LR 3 to Aperture. The primary catalyst is the problem LR 4 introduces with presets - some work, sone fail and worst of all, some work but don’t render the same results. Combine this with the track record of abandoning one version by not upgrading it to support new bodies, mix in the expensive compatibility dance between LR, Adobe Raw and Photoshop, top it off with the new upgrade policy for PS and I’ve found myself looking for a better solution.

Doug

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness