You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hot & Cold View Defaults #1
Kevin Mantooth's picture
by Kevin Mantooth
November 8, 2010 - 10:12am

Did something change in Aperture 3.0 in regard to the view of Hot & Cold Areas? I use this feature quite a bit and in Aperture 2.x had it set up to be off during Quick Preview mode and auto-enable when I went into Edit/Adjustments mode. So this way all the images look “clean” while I browse, but when I'm editing it was there by default.

Now it's always on or always off, regardless of the currentQuick Preview toggle.

Is there a way to bring this back?

Kevin

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 11, 2010 - 8:55am

Kevin,

I rarely use the Quick Preview mode, but I can say for certain that there was no way to have Highlight Hot & Cold Areas off in one mode, and auto-enabled in another. I’m guessing that what was actually happening was that Highlight Hot & Cold was always on on your system, and that when in Quick Preview mode, Aperture used to not display it. However now, it does.

You could probably argue that this used to be a bug; it should have always displayed the Hot & Cold areas when enabled, regardless if you’re in Quick Preview or normal mode. I’d put money on it that they “fixed the bug”.

However, this isn’t helping you ;-)

What I’d suggest is that you do as I did ages ago, and remap they keyboard shortcut for Highlight Hot & Cold Areas to something a lot easier to hit than the default Option-Shift-H. I have mine set to the letter Q. By default, Q is Focus on Project Pane, which you can also get to by tapping W until it cycles back to the Project tab.

That way it’s a single keystroke away, and always right under your fingers.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kevin Mantooth's picture
by Kevin Mantooth
November 11, 2010 - 10:23am

I used the Quick Preview mode to speed things up when navigating in my MacBook or Mac Mini. The lesser powered Macs still can be pretty slow with larger Aperture libraries. I liked having this off while in this mode since it gave me a quick glance of the finished previews. When I turned it off, it was like going into Edit mode and it was a good default starting point.

Your tip works well. The only trouble is this feature is disabled during Quick Preview mode - - meaning, you are stuck with its current setting, whichever it is. You have to disable Quick Preview to toggle the Hot/Cold.

Thanks again. Perhaps someone else will stumble upon a hidden setting someday to bring back the “bug”. :-)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 11, 2010 - 12:15pm

Kevin,

You’re absolutely right. Whatever state it’s in, you can’t change it once in Quick Preview mode.

I retract what I said earlier. I think now it’s a bug. I’ll report it.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?