7 posts / 0 new
Last post
How best to manage libraries on two computers? #1
Bill Luczyk's picture
by Bill Luczyk
April 20, 2014 - 8:13pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently purchased a MacBook to take on the road with me for shoots.  I am now able to shoot on the road, download and process pictures, and upload the processed photos to Flickr for sharing.  When I get home, I export the project(s) as a library and import them to my primary iMac, where I might do some further post-processing.

Ok, now my question.  Now that everything is on my iMac, and backed up to Time Machine and Backblaze, I want to free up the space on my MacBook.  What is the best way to do this?  Do I just go to the project and “Delete original image and all versions”?  I was a little afraid to do this because I got the following warning:  ”These versions will be removed from all Albums, Books, Light Tables, Web Pages, Web Journals, Slideshows, Flickr Albums, SmugMug Galleries, and Facebook Albums.”  I would like the photos that I uploaded to Flickr to stay there.  Ideally, I might then resync my MacBook with Flickr to pull the jpegs of the photos that were share-worthy, without requiring all of the space of the original RAW files.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

IanW's picture
by IanW
April 21, 2014 - 5:14pm

Can I suggest you download the Aperture 3 manual from apple:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1560/en_US/Aperture_3_User_…

and see pages 579 & 580.

I have not done anything like you’re proposing but the answer to your dilemma may well be covered here.

Good luck

regards Ian

Bill Luczyk's picture
by Bill Luczyk
April 23, 2014 - 5:51am

Hi Ian,

Yes, that was actually helpful.  I was not aware of the effect of disabling the flickr web account from within Aperture.  That seemed to be what I needed.

So, the steps were:

1. Disable the flickr account on the MacBook.

2. Delete masters and versions on the MacBook.

3. Enable the flickr account on the MacBook and synchronize the set.

I think that it may have been a mistake to share the photos to flickr from the MacBook if I wanted the permanent project repository to be on my iMac.  Now the MacBook and the iMac have both synchronized to flickr, and the photos show up in the shared flickr library.  However, later changes that I have made to the photos on the iMac do not synchronize to flickr.  The morale of the story may be that photos should not be shared to flickr until after the library has been merged onto the iMac.

Bill

Joe's picture
by Joe
April 23, 2014 - 7:58am

Hi,

I have more or less the same workflow as you. To avoid any headache, I am managing it all integrated sharing only after I have remerge the libraries - it is perhaps not optimal but at least I am avoiding issues :)

Good luck to recover everything!

J.

IanW's picture
by IanW
April 23, 2014 - 7:04pm

Bill,

Glad to hear my info was useful. 

regards

Ian

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
April 24, 2014 - 1:03am

Hi Bill,

I used the integrated Flickr uploader for a long time until I realised that any changes I made to the image after the fact had odd results on my Flickr library. Sometimes after re-editing images they would appear further up in my Flickr stream, like they’d been republished. Also any changes you make to the version name, caption etc are all synced to Flickr.

My solution was to not use the Flickr uploader at all. Drastic, yes, but solved the problem!

I hear this tool is good. Not sure if it has any of the same issues though http://connectedflow.com/flickrexport/aperture/index.php

Rolf Schmolling's picture
by Rolf Schmolling
April 24, 2014 - 9:11am

well, I use FlickrExport without any problems. One cannot sort the groups which are presented in the list with checkmarks to upload to, same with one’s open sets and the interface looks a bit dated, but it still works. Cannot say anything about your particular problem, but there is a 30 days trial available.

Rolf

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?