You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
How can I get an older version of Aperture suitable for a second hand older MacBook? #1
Gloria Pennycook's picture
by Gloria Pennycook
February 7, 2014 - 10:52pm

I currently run Aperture 3.1.1 on my older MacBook (OSX 10.6).   I recently acquired a second hand MacBook of same vintage with a slightly larger hard drive.    I would like to install the same version of Aperture on this MacBook.

The online Apple store only offers the latest Aperture version which will only work with OSX 10.9.   The folks at my local Apple store can’t help either.

Any thoughts?   Thanks in advance for your help.

Gloria

Rafter's picture
by Rafter
February 9, 2014 - 8:17am

You should be able to install your version of Aperture 3 on that computer without issue with your original install disk. 

by Gloria Pennycook
February 9, 2014 - 1:58pm

I purchased my copy of Aperture 3 from the online App Store, so unfornately I don’t have an original disk. Can I make one somehow?

Thanks again in advance for your response.

Gloria

Rafter's picture
by Rafter
February 10, 2014 - 8:29am

If you purchased it from the App Store you should log into the App Store with your ID. It should be in your purchase history and available for download/install.
If not just copy the app from one computer to the other .

by Gloria Pennycook
February 11, 2014 - 2:30am

When I go to the purchase history it only shows an update against Aperture. The version on the App Store shelf is 3.5.1 which requires OSX 10.9. Unfortunately I can’t put 10.9 on these MacBooks.

Gloria

TattooedMac's picture
by TattooedMac
February 10, 2014 - 9:41am

Insert thumb drive into Mac with Aperture 3. Navigate to Applications>Aperture. Click and drag Aperture 3 to the thumb drive.

Doing this will only put the App itself on the Thumb Drive. No eject it. Go to the new Mac without Aperture and make sure its been updated to 10.6.8. If it isn’t download the 10.6.8 Combo Update from here. You need to do this, to make sure you have the Mac App Store on the Mac or Aperture will not be activated and usable. Once its all updated, then drag Aperture over and into the Applications folder. Then click to open.

Only go this way, if and when you update it to 10.6.8 and for some reason its not available in the Mac App Store, because of it now 3.5.1 which is what I’m sure it will offer you, but if not download it and reinstall from the Mac App Store.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunnelling through a mountain with your forehead.
"Can't innovate any more, my ass" Phil Schiller

by Gloria Pennycook
February 11, 2014 - 2:44am

I plan to upgrade the newer MacBook to 10.6.8. If I do the app copy as you suggest will I end up with two active copies? Or will the App Store detect the switch and deactivate the original?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Gloria

Rolf Schmolling's picture
by Rolf Schmolling
February 11, 2014 - 10:53am

Hi,

as far as I know, you are able to have two active copies of software from the apple store used, as long as you are using the same apple-id on both computers. 

I believe the license from packaged (non apple store) Aperture allowed installation on more than one mac.

Rolf

by Gloria Pennycook
February 11, 2014 - 1:57pm

Thanks for all your help. How do I check/set the Apple-ID on my second computer?

Gloria

Rolf Schmolling's picture
by Rolf Schmolling
February 11, 2014 - 5:18pm

Hi, first check which version of OSX is running: “Apple-menu” - “about this computer/mac”. You need 10.6.8 at least. When You are on 10.6.8 You should have the App-Store-App on your computer, and when you open it, there is a setting in preferences (best check with your older mac, where you have Aperture up and running anyway). I believe the is a setting in systems preferences as well (for apple-id) , but do not remember that clearly.

Hope that helps.

R.

by Gloria Pennycook
February 16, 2014 - 5:08pm

Thanks to all who responded.   I was able to update the OS and then simply copy the Aperture executable to the second MacBook.    I don’t know if it was important,  but I first opened and logged into the App Store on the destination machine.   I then copied the Aperture executable from the thumbdrive into the applications folder. 

When I double clicked the Aperture app came up!

Once again thanks for all your help.

Gloria

TattooedMac's picture
by TattooedMac
February 24, 2014 - 9:37am

Just FYI Gloria, in the Apple world, those .exe (executable) you are talking about are .dmg (Disk Image) but you would of copied a .app over. The .dmg or .exe are the containers that hold the .app, and you double click them to be ran through a Install Process, which at the end would of given you Aperture.app.

This doesn’t mean a who har now for you, as you have copied the Aperture App over ok, but i just wanted to point it out to you, so next time you ask for help with your Mac, you have a little better understanding of what you are playing with, and talking about :)

Cheers

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunnelling through a mountain with your forehead.
"Can't innovate any more, my ass" Phil Schiller

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?