You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
How can I move images on my HD and still retain link in Aperture? #1
Matthew Dodwell's picture
by Matthew Dodwell
October 24, 2013 - 6:45am

Hi Guys,

I am just doing a major reorganisation, which includes closing Lightroom and moving all images (that are worth and I want to edit) in to my Aperture library. I've had some images from older shoots in LR but I have decided to re-edit some of them in Aperture. I moved to Aperture this year and have been using it ever since, but have some legacy images I now want to transfer too. This is something I have been meaning to do for ages.

But, I have just made an error with my folder structure. I am using referenced files on an external HD. I have several folders set up 2013-Travel-Dorset 2013. I moved 80% of my images from this shoot into the Dorset 2013 folder and imported into Aperture. But, for the remaining 20% for some reason I accidentally dragged and dropped them onto my external HD in the 'Travel' folder. Then I imported them into Aperture.

The reason I need to keep this link is that I have done a mega metadata, Map Locations, etc, etc exercise and don't want to do this again.

What I want to do now is move those 20% into the Dorset 2013 folder, but because they are linked in Aperture, if I drag and drop them, I think i'll lose the link.

Please advise the best process of allow me to move these 20% into the correct folder on my external HD and retain the link in my Aperture Library.

Thanking you in advance.

Matt

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 24, 2013 - 7:48am

Select the images inside the Aperture browser and choose File->Relocate Originals… and Aperture will move them for you.

You’re not supposed to move them within the Finder but I think if Aperture is running when you move them in the Finder it will keep the connection. But no need to test this theory if you use Aperture to do the move.

Thomas

Matthew Dodwell's picture
by Matthew Dodwell
October 24, 2013 - 4:50pm

Thanks Thomas, I will try that tonight.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness