You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
How do I change a Project Date? #1
Debbie's picture
by Debbie
May 25, 2011 - 7:04am

Hi, I'm currently importing scanned images into A3 and then changing the date on them to their original date, including the master. But, after doing that, the Project they reside in when I mouse over it is still showing a different date, which I suspect is the date they were scanned. I can't figure out how to change it. All of my other Projects that have images in them by month show the month date range when you mouse over the Project to see the dates, but these Projects with scanned images in them aren't reflecting the newly changed dates of the images residing in the Project. Help please! I keep my Projects organized by date, so this is messing me up chronologically.

Also, how can I change the date order of my Projects so that the current month is at top? I don't see an option for that the way I could do it in iPhoto.

TIA! Debbie

~Debbie

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
May 25, 2011 - 9:45am

Ok, found a workaround for my first question. Not very elegant, but unless someone tells me otherwise I have to move the project to the trash, then right click and choose “put back”. That changes the project date to the dates of the images inside. Weird, but better than nothing.

For changing my Projects order to newest first I had to choose Library in the drop down menu, then make sure I had all of the Projects in the left sidebar in that same order, newest to oldest.

If anyone has any better answers please let me know. I’m an A3 newbie, but have bought all of the E-Books and preset packs here including that gradient one that’s no longer available. I never did figure out what I was suppose to use those on. Amateur photographer here. :)

~Debbie

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
May 31, 2011 - 5:26am

Hi Joseph!

Thanks for your reply. Your method for changing the Project Date is obviously much better. I’ll use it from now on.

By “had to choose Library in the drop down menu” I meant the little drop down box on the upper left when in Projects view. You can choose to sort Projects by Name, Date-oldest, Date-newest, and Library. By choosing Library I can have my Projects in the same order as I have them in the Library mode on the left. This is important to me as I sort my photos by year and month. My Projects are May 2011, April 2011, etc, but then I sort further using albums and smart albums. I’m just a hobbyist and digital scrapbooker, so this is what works best for me. I like the current month to be the first Project at the top. I do realize that if I choose Date-Newest I’d get the same result normally, but many of the photos I’m pulling into A3 from iPhoto or from scanning have the wrong dates. Until I get all of the dates changed, manually sorting my Projects in the left sidebar in the order I want them is the best choice for me. Does this make any sense? :)

I watched all six of your videos on my iPad the last couple of days and learned so much. It would be so helpful though if in the description somewhere you listed what you cover in the Q&A section. I learned lots of good stuff during that part of each video that I wish I could remember where to go look for it when I actually need to use it. Anyway, thanks for recording these! I had A3 sitting here on my iMac for over a year before jumping in. I was afraid to leave iPhoto, but really wanted to go further with my photo software. Your E-Books, videos, and forums here gave me the courage to dive in and I’m loving it so far!

I only shoot with a Canon S95, but am learning a bit about manual mode and working with RAW images, which makes it fun and interesting for me after years with a simpler P&S.

Thanks again… Debbie

~Debbie

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
May 31, 2011 - 5:35am

Btw… I belong to a very active Yahoo group with 30 women all passionate about Photography and Digital Scrapbooking. We generate on average 6000 emails a month (well, we are women ;)). They almost sucked me into LR3 last month as they all use it and love it. I hadn’t used A3 yet despite as I said having it since it was first released. So, because I was intimidated by A3 and felt so alone in the group, I almost caved. I had the LR3 demo installed! Now I’m so glad I didn’t switch! I’m the only A3 user in our group, even though there are lots of Mac users, but I have no regrets now. I think I’m better off than all of them and I have you to thank for that. :)

~Debbie

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
May 31, 2011 - 5:37am

Oh, and thanks for the gradients explanation. I had kinda guessed they were sky related. :)

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 31, 2011 - 5:47am

Debbie,

Thanks for clarifying. Funny, I never tried the “Library” view before. Handy :)

Your method does make sense, but let me suggest a way to make things easier. Instead of naming the projects “May 2011” and “April 2011”, how about you name them 2011-04 and 2011-05. Even if you put “2011-05 May” to make it easier to see at a glance, but by putting the numeric yyyy-mm first, you will force chronological order simply by sorting by name. You can’t reverse this though, so you won’t get the newest on top, but if you manage things in folders of months or years, it shouldn’t be an issue. Here’s a snapshot of my Library: [screenshot].

Kudos to you for sticking with Aperture in the face of a gaggle of Lightroom users ;-)

Thanks for the tip on doing the Q&A questions into the show notes for the Live Training. I’ll be sure to do that in the future.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
May 31, 2011 - 7:15am

Joseph, this is exactly how I name my Projects. 2011-05 May. But I still need to use the Library Sort method to keep the current month first.

Thanks again for your help!

Debbie

~Debbie

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
May 31, 2011 - 7:24am

Oh, and your screenshot is very helpful and shows me where I can tweak my folder naming. The way I do it is Monthly Projects named as shown above, then if a special one time event occurred during the month, I separate it and label as you do with the exact date, then name of the event. This is why I wanted to be able to split Projects, so that I can have just certain days pulled out of a month’s worth of photos, but still have them listed in Projects view, which is what I’m used to doing after using iPhoto for so many years. I’m sure with time I’ll migrate more towards using the Library mode sidebar as you do.

Debbie

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 25, 2011 - 11:52pm

Debbie,

Good job figuring out a way to do it; that’s not one I would have suggested. I know that if you create a new project and just move the content from one to the other, that will do it. Someone else was going through this a while ago, and I know we tried just moving a single file (perhaps the “oldest” one?) out and back in, but I honestly don’t recall if that worked or not. Worth a try though.

I’m honestly not sure what you mean when you say you “had to choose Library in the drop down menu, then make sure I had all of the Projects in the left sidebar in that same order, newest to oldest.” Can you elaborate? You chose Library in which drop-down menu?

As far as the gradients—they are mainly designed for tinting the sky. I removed them because they were causing performance issues and from what I heard from other users, weren’t the most popular ones. It gave me a good excuse to kill them and drop the price. Of course now the performance issue has been fixed so it’s no longer an issue, but still… I may not re-release them unless there’s a demand. Consider what you have a “limited edition” ;-)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness