You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
How Do You Upload To Flickr ? #1
Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
May 24, 2011 - 4:15am

Hey Joseph
I have only just noticed that all my uploads to Flickr don't include all the Metadata that I want it to.
Perhaps the reason I have only just realised is that after watching one of your sessions I now on import use the year month day time format for the Version name which for the future I think is a good idea except I think I missed one point “it now says the same as the date” so why ? This is an add on question.
I upload to flickr using the built in sync which I like because which ever library I am in I can always see all my flickr uploads. The bit I don't like is Headline and Title don't show up on my photos on the flickr page only Caption and Version Name is there any way to change this because I am now changing the version name from something like “2011-05-23 at 19-54-06 - Version 2” to “man in hat” which of course defeats the whole point of my import work flow.
Any suggestions to get around this problem would be gratefully received.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 24, 2011 - 9:32am

Graham,

Flickr has a specific set of Metadata that it accepts from any photo uploaded, to my understanding. If you select a photo and from the Actions menu choose View EXIF Info you’ll see what Flickr has. I just looked at mine, and I don’t see Headline or Title, but then again I don’t use either field, so it could just be that they are blank.

The Aperture Version Name will become the title of the photo, and the Aperture Caption will show up underneath it, like this: [screenshot]

I think you were asking above what the point is of having the date and time in the file name. In my preferred workflow, that is to force chronological order, especially when using multiple cameras. I go into this in detail in my ebook “ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3”.

If you want the main title in Flickr to be a more descriptive name, then yes, you’ll have to change the Version Name. But the beauty of this system is that you can change the Version Name to anything you like, and yet the File Name is always intact as originally defined.

Let me know if that helps
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
May 24, 2011 - 6:08pm

Joseph
Thanks for the reply and reminder that the File name remains the same. I was getting confused between that and the version name.

With regard to the sorting does sorting by date in ascending order give the same result in chronological order.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 25, 2011 - 9:28am

Graham,

In theory, yes. If you always shoot with one camera and don’t change time zones, then it shouldn’t matter. However as soon as you introduce multiple cameras, or start shooting across multiple time zones, things can get screwy. I prefer to have a forced chronological order by simple text name that I can rely on to never change. I’ve been using a Mac for twenty years and far too many times have I seen dates spontaneously change due to network copies, restored backups, or other such stuff. Dates are important to me so I put it in the file name.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness