You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to use more picture especial effects ? #1
MAURICE OROZCO's picture
by MAURICE OROZCO
December 24, 2010 - 9:46am

When I had windows, I was using Corel. This software allowed to use a lot of effects in my picture. Other programs like iPhoto for example, allow you to blur the image, vignetting, etc so I am wondering how can you do that in Aperture ? In Aperture I have use vignetting and the blur adjustment but do we have more like, 3D effects, painting effects, etc ?

Ian Eisenberg's picture
by Ian Eisenberg
December 24, 2010 - 3:34pm

Aperture can be used for fine-tuning an image and does a great job at photo organization.
You need to look at an image editor like Photoshop, Acorn or Pixelmator.
Also it sounds like you should seek out some more instruction on the internet. Try Youtube or some of the tutorial websites.

Braedon Cagle's picture
by Braedon Cagle
December 29, 2010 - 12:07am

I’m trying to figure out which direction to go…

My main objective is layering, but I do have interest in HDR too. I’m undecided between Pixelmator and PSE9 (although I am considering the CS5 extended for Students @$199). For HDR I’ve narrowed it down to Nik and Photomatrix (with CS5 also a contender if I go that route). I also have heard good things about Topaz, but I am not sure how it fits into the above software listed.

Any suggestions, recommendations, as well as experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BC

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 29, 2010 - 12:46am

Maurice and Braedon,

I have Photoshop CS4 myself (didn’t bother upgrading) but I’ll be looking at Photoshop Elements next… I’m not sure that I really need all this power anymore.

Check out Acorn as well as Pixelmator as Ian suggested; both very capable apps that may give you what you need, for a LOT less money.

I’m not HDR guy (for that head on over to StuckinCustoms.com) but I have played with Nik’s HDR Efex Pro and it’s quite cool and easy to use.

The good news is most software these days (including all of the ones listed above) have free trials. The only way to really know if it’s for you is to give it a run!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Braedon Cagle's picture
by Braedon Cagle
December 29, 2010 - 2:06am

Thanks Joseph!

Adobe is selling PSE9 for $59.99 after $40.00 mail in rebate. I was leaning towards Pixelmator before Adobe lowered its price, but now am inclined to go with Adobe.

I was also wondering if you have(or anyone else reading this thread has) any experience with the Topaz Labs’ software? I’m just wondering how it will fit into the whole equation.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?