You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't give a DAM #1
Ken Sky's picture
by Ken Sky
May 8, 2015 - 3:28pm

As a low volume amateur, I’ve no need for Digital Asset Management. I keep all my original RAWs and edited selects filed by date & place in my external hard drive. What I’ll miss most about a dying Aperture is the ease of editing and special tools. As an exclusive Sony user, I’ve taken advantage of the pricing on C1 Pro for Sony. Will this fill all my needs? Or will I still need another editor or tool for my workflow? BTW, besides storage and making photobooks, I print 13”x19” for personal use.

Ken Sky

bill@billbooth.ca's picture
by bill@billbooth.ca
May 10, 2015 - 4:10pm

Ken, Suggest you watch the videos on the C 1 site, specifically the one on managing a Catalogue. This system should serve your remote storage solution very well. Two things to keep in mind: 1- C1 does not move or copy your images; 2- images must be imported into the Catalgue I.e. It has to import the location of the file, all the while leaving the file where it lives.
After importing, you can even continue to make edits if your source drive is off line. Final outputs for printing will have to wait until you reconnect with the external drive.

Bill Booth

Alex U's picture
by Alex U
May 11, 2015 - 11:02am

I believe that users NOT looking for DAM will be very happy with C1 which is considered the best RAW Converter on the merket. I have testet it a while ago and was extremely happy. Nevertheless it is always an individual decision. There are users who prefer LR. I personally will base that decision on my surrounding. I need people to ask if needed. 

Best regards, Alex

Ray's picture
by Ray
May 17, 2015 - 4:39pm

You need to use C1 to see it it fits your needs. There’s a 30-day free trial. My experience is I would not pick it for DAM, I might pick it for developing.

My experience, 3 months with v7 and a month with v8 on a 3.0 rMBP with ssd’s both internal and external.

Even though it says it can import Aperture libraries, my experience is it does only to a limited extent. After the import, check how many images it was supposed to import and how many it did. There is a text box showing the summary. BUT, no identification of the problematic images. For those “imported”, see how many are not writeable.  There’s no filter to help you out. You just have to comb through 1,000’s of images looking for the little non-writeable icon. I tried 10 different referenced <2,000 image Aperture test libraries. Not one imported all of the images and all left me with an unknown number of non-writeable images. Images it appears to have issues with are older jpeg’s and tifs. My gut tells me anything that’s “web ready” is an issue, don’t know for sure what the issue is.

Keywording is way behind just about any app I’ve looked at that keywords. Its not quick. Tools are basic at best. Lot’s of functionality in Aperture is simply not there. Or, implemented in a manner that’s limited in scope and ability.

Stability and speed is not Aperture. v8 is better, but still not as quick or particularly stable. Always came back fine after a crash. But its not a comforting feeling knowing you have all your image management in there.

Excellent initial renders, very good editing tools. On my Fuji XTrans files, the initial renders are excellent. Improvements in tools with some exceptions. The sharpening tool is poor, not much better than Aperture and very/too sensitive to be of any use. The Clarity tool is borderline useless. For all the press C1 get’s on its color editing, I find Aperture’s better. The eyedropper tool to pick a color requires about 5 trys before it actually picks the color you place it on. These are XTrans specific comments and I did not run older NEF files through it. Some functionality in local adjustments is not available for XTrans images. Don’t know if matters like this extend into the Bayer camp.

Sort of expensive for my application. I can’t import/catalog probably 1,000’s of images Apple, Adobe and a host of other apps have no issues with. Limited functionality for my Fuji XTrans images.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?