You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
iCloud Optimized Photo Space #1
thawley's picture
by thawley
April 21, 2015 - 6:00pm

I was wondering if anybody that has “optimize storage” turned on can give us an idea how it works.

If a person had a 50GB library with 10GB left on the HD and you turned on “optimize storage” how much space would the library consume after it has uploaded all the originals ? How much space on the HD is photos looking to preserve ? 

How about iOS ? On a 32GB iPad would you still get full screen thumbnails of all pictures, kind of like when you sync with iTunes? Does it try to leave space on the device for new apps, pictures etc? Does it delete thumbnails as you add apps or take pictures so you don’t run out of space ?

You get the idea.

Thanks,

Terry

Lori's picture
by Lori
April 22, 2015 - 2:32am

Not sure if this will help or not but the Photos Library on my Mac Pro (where I have the setting turned on to “Download Originals”) is 130GB.  I have that library syncing to my iPhone and am using the “Optimize” setting on my iPhone.  That library is taking up 2.9GB on my iPhone.  If I look at my overall iPhone usage settings for everything installed on my iPhone, I’m using 33.3GB and have 22.6GB available.  I have access to all 13,000 of my photos and videos on my iPhone.  I can see all the thumbnails.  If I click on a photo or video sometimes it takes a few seconds for the image to download to a better resolution.

I also have a laptop MacBook Pro and have that Mac synced to the Photos Library using the “Optimized” option and I noticed that my Photos Library is the same size as on my Mac Pro which I found interesting since the original files are set to download to the Mac Pro.  My guess is that perhaps I have enough extra room on my MacBook Pro that even though I have the Optimize setting turned on maybe it downloaded larger photos for speed.  Not sure though.

Lori

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness