You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
identify HDR photos #1
Dana Leonard's picture
by Dana Leonard
November 2, 2012 - 7:33am

Hi. This may be a really dumb question but is there any easy or automated way to identify HDR images?

For example, if I take an HDR photo on my iPhone 5 and then download the pictures into Aperture, I get 2 files – one normal (because I have the “keep normal photo” setting turned on) plus the HDR image. I'm wondering if there's any way to have Aperture identify just the HDR photos in my library?

Because I have tens of thousands of photos, I don't want to have to manually rate or assign a keyword or … whatever.

It just seems like this would be a piece of EXIF info – or something that is searchable.

Thanks.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 3, 2012 - 3:09am

Dana,

I just compared all the EXIF fields between the standard and HDR version of an iPhone photo, and couldn’t spot any differences. The only difference between the two at all was that the HDR was slightly larger (2.19 MB vs 1.94 MB) but that’s not going to be consistent enough across photos to build a search criteria.

Sorry, I don’t have any other ideas at the moment… anyone else?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 19, 2012 - 1:55pm

Paul,

You can choose to have the iPhone not save the non-HDR version in the settings if that’s what you want, but I think that Dana is just looking for a way to separate her HDR photos from the rest of them. She pointed out that she has the camera set to save both, so she knows how to turn that off if she wanted to.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Paul T's picture
by Paul T
November 11, 2012 - 8:48am

All I can suggest, even though it’s a pain is to delete the non HDR image off your camera roll as soon as it’s taken so it’s not imported. The HDR image is the second image and is marked HDR in the top right hand corner while the info is up on the camera roll, just scroll back a photo and delete it. It actually takes two seconds.

That should help with going through heaps of pics and deleting them after import, it’s way quicker to do it on the phone on the go if you have the time. Good luck.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?