You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Importing iPhoto smart albums to Aperture 3 #1
Greg Lowry's picture
by Greg Lowry
April 30, 2010 - 3:50am

New to the forum. New to Aperture.

I have approximately 3,000 smart albums in iPhoto 09 (for about 135,000 extensively keyworded images) that I want to import – as intact smart albums – into Aperture 3. I’d either like to import my entire iPhoto library or selectively import iPhoto smart albums into Aperture. If, for example, I open my iPhoto browser window in Aperture, and drag a smart folder into Aperture, it converts the smart album to a new Project with a regular Album inside, thus losing the smart album controls. Is there a solution? Thanks.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 8, 2010 - 2:04am

Greg,

What if you use the Import feature of Aperture, File > Import > iPhoto Library…? I haven’t tried myself as I haven’t used iPhoto in years. You could create a simple test library for iPhoto before committing your entire library to import.

Let us know what you find!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Greg Lowry's picture
by Greg Lowry
May 8, 2010 - 2:26am

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that process creates a New (Aperture) Project for every iPhoto smart album with a regular (non-smart) Album inside, thus losing the smart album function. I’ve read elsewhere that this is a known problem with Aperture 3. I wish I had KNOWN it before I bought it! Manually converting 3,000 smart albums isn’t on my schedule any time soon, I’m hoping for an upgrade … someday.

Greg

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?