You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Importing RAW files into Aperture #1
thebeej's picture
by thebeej
April 16, 2014 - 8:06pm

When I import RAW files into aperture they are shown in an “enhanced ” way, what I want is the original state of the RAW file which looks drab by comparison but which will provide a valid reference point to work from. I suspect why they have done it this way is so that it doesn’t frighten the punters into thinking something is wrong with their camera if a drab looking file appears, but if you understand what RAW is in the first place, this is what you actually want.

Diane Knappenberger's picture
by Diane Knappenberger
April 16, 2014 - 9:12pm

I agree with you, I am having a similar issue. The rendered raw images are too saturated and the colors aren’t exactly right. Have you tried the Raw Fine Tuning brick? There’s a Hue Boost and Boost slider there. You can set these to zero, even using this as a default on Import. I’ve tried this and it doesn’t really get me closer to what I want, but it might be useful to you.

I agree with your theory also, that Apple is trying to address the common complaint that “my files look too drab”. I believe that in 3Q 2012 Apple updated their Raw rendering algorithms and in my opinion they are worse. I notice it in blue skies and anything purple. I’ve seen other posts that talk about the green channel being heavily manipulated also. Let us know if you find a fix.

Diane

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
April 23, 2014 - 12:43pm

Yes I would say to definitely have a play with the RAW fine tune module. Then if there is something specifically off with all your images you can make a preset to apply to all images  upon import. For example, if there is a green hue then just colour correct one image and use those settings as your preset.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 23, 2014 - 5:38pm

Have you ever used Effect Presets when importing an image?  It may still be on and changing the what Raw looks like.  I never use any effects on import so Im not sure what it does but check your dialog import box forEffect Presets being applied  What you are stating is not normal IMHO.

Oops Chris got there first.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
April 24, 2014 - 12:53am

;)

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?