You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Importing subfolders within subfolders within folders #1
jenny 's picture
by jenny
November 1, 2012 - 11:01pm

I'm new to Aperture and trying to import thousands of images stored by Zoombrowser in date subfolders which I have within folders of trips, within years. Aperture puts the lowest level, date, subfolders into albums, which I thought was just for versions/links. Occasionally I have subfolders within the dates, in which case Aperture puts the date in a folder and the folders below this in albums.
I'd like to have the trips as projects within year folders.
I should unpack the date subfolders into the trip folders before importing but there are just too many to do manually.
Any suggestions please!!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 3, 2012 - 2:59am

Jenny,

In Aperture, all images are stored in a Project. Albums are basically “links” as you say. Folders do NOT contain images at all, but are only for containing Projects/Albums/Books etc. The cool thing about a Folder is when you click it, you see the contents of all items inside of it at once.

You may want to watch the first view videos in the Live Training series, or if you prefer books, check out the “In-Depth Getting Started with Aperture 3” ebook.

Once you understand the structure, you can devise a workflow that makes sense to you.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

jenny 's picture
by jenny
November 3, 2012 - 5:11pm

Thanks for that Joseph.
I think my confusion is what is the difference between the implications of importing folders as “folders and projects” or as “projects and albums”.
To me albums do not make much sense unless you create one for a specific purpose from a project.
Seems that I can click on any of the structures to see it’s contents.
I am going to try to flatten my folder structure using Applescript which I have just found out about. That will allow me to have all the different date folders within the trip folder, but still not sure which option to use when I import this.
Jenny

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 5, 2012 - 10:30am

Jenny,

Albums are useful for many reason and don’t have to be associated with a single or any project. For example, you could have an Album for a single project that is “best of” or “send to client”, or an Album for the year or your entire Library that is “submit to contest” or “print for gallery”. Extremely flexible.

As far as which import option to choose, usually want Projects at the, well, project level. A year or month isn’t a project. A client shoot, a trip to the zoo, a holiday dinner — that’s a project.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness